You seek to be part of Ball State’s most rigorous intellectual community. Congratulations! For many, the rewards of Honors College scholarship and fellowship prove transformative.
We’ve made applying a simple task. Please pay strict attention to all the requirements and deadlines addressed below.
Admission to the Honors College is selective and based on academic achievement and potential. Honors applicants must meet the general university admission requirements as well as the Honors College requirements.
We encourage you to apply if you are:
- earning an Indiana Academic Honors Diploma or completing a comparable curriculum in another state in high school
- earning primarily As and Bs in high school
Other criteria for consideration include:
- grades in college preparatory courses during high school
- unusual strength of your high school curriculum, including the number of honors, advanced placement (AP), or international baccalaureate (IB) courses completed
- extracurricular activities and leadership experiences (academic and nonacademic)
- strong standardized test scores (SAT and/or ACT)
- one or more letters of reference, preferably from teachers familiar with your potential for college academic work
We encourage you to take both the SAT and ACT (though either is acceptable) and to retake the tests if your scores are low or marginal (we will use your highest scores).
Ball State calculates your SAT composite from your highest subscores, not necessarily your highest single test. Placement and advanced standing in your first semester at Ball State also are determined by your highest subscores on either test.
How to Apply
You may apply for admission to the Honors College in one of the following ways, depending on whether you’ve already applied to Ball State:
In the online application for admission to Ball State, you will see the question “Do you wish to apply for admission to the Honors College?”
If you’ve already applied for admission to the university, you may print out, complete, and submit the Honors College application separately to Ball State’s Office of Admissions.
Download Application (PDF)
Office of Admissions
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306
Transfer and Current Students
- If you are a transfer student, the application process starts by submitting the online honors college application to the Office of Admissions.
- If you already attend Ball state, submit the form directly to the Honors College by email.
Deadlines for Applications and Payment
The Honors College has a competitive, rolling admission review process. Students are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible. The following dates and deadlines are for students starting in the fall semester.
- Nov. 15 – Apply to meet the priority deadline for full consideration.
- April 15 – If you have not applied yet, we suggest you contact us directly to ensure timely review.
- May 1 – Confirm your enrollment at Ball State.
Our dean of the Honors College will notify you whether we’ve admitted you to our program about three weeks after we’ve received all your application materials.
In order to secure your place in the Honors College, you must confirm your enrollment at Ball State by May 1.
Honors College students compete for scholarships and fellowships designed exclusively for Honors College. Most receive the substantial Presidential Scholarship. Many receive additional aid from a basket of generous Honors College scholarships. See all of our scholarships.