Ball State’s graduate program in fashion provides rigorous study in all areas of fashion to prepare you with the skills needed for an exciting career in today's fashion companies or in your own small business.
The program combines the study of creativity in design and merchandising, product development with fashion theories and fashion business strategies. In addition, the program provides access to our outstanding design and construction labs, which are equipped with much of the same equipment and software used in the fashion industry, as well as historic fashions and accessories in the Beeman Historic Costume Collection.
If you’re fascinated by the dynamic world of today’s latest fashions, are passionate about merchandising quality products, and want to have a keen understanding of where fashion has been historically and where it’s headed today, this graduate program is the perfect choice.
Skills You Will Learn
Through our master's degree program, you will learn how to:
- Analyze fashion business strategies and explain how fashion business professionals use marketing communications to build a brand image and customer loyalty.
- Identify trends in creativity research for fashion merchandising and design.
- Identify research methods to develop a successful fashion product, including trend research methods and laboratory testing.
- Evaluate materials and construction quality of fashion products.
- Evaluate the role of technology in the fashion apparel product supply chain.
Our course study delves into advanced theories and procedures in fashion marketing and merchandising, including fashion production analysis, fashion buying, international apparel markets, and fashion forecasting.
Classes You Will Take
A few of the classes you will take include:
- Fashion Theories
- Fashion Business Strategies
- Creativity in Design and Merchandising
- Fashion Product Development
- Museum Study in Apparel and Textiles Collections or Sustainability Practices for Designers and Merchandisers
For a complete list of all courses, their descriptions, and other program requirements, please see our Graduate Catalog.
What Can You Do with a Master’s Degree in Fashion?
The graduate program in fashion merchandising will prepare you for careers such as a:
- store manager
- retail buyer
- merchandise manager
- visual merchandiser
- fashion director
Paying for Your Education
A graduate assistantship is an excellent opportunity to gain meaningful professional experience while helping cover the costs of your degree. Learn more.
Ready to Apply?
Interested in applying? The first step is applying as a graduate student at Ball State University. Click below to begin your journey today.
Have questions? Want to learn more about our program or schedule a visit?