No Prior Work Experience Some MBA programs require you to have been working in a business-related position for a year or more. With Ball State, you can start on your graduate education right away. Plus, our business essentials certificate can help you understand business fundamentals if your undergraduate degree was not in business.
You must be fully admitted and receive a letter of acceptance from both the Ball State Graduate School and the Miller College of Business before registering in MBA courses.
Our 6-step checklist will help you understand the admission requirements and process:
1. Apply and meet the requirements of the Ball State Graduate School. Complete this step first. Send official copies of your undergraduate transcript(s) to Ball State. These same transcripts will be forwarded to the Miller College of Business, if you are accepted for graduate study at Ball State.
2. Submit your completed MBA application to the Miller College of Business.
3. Review the admission requirements for the Miller College of Business MBA program:
- Your previous academic record, scores on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), potential leadership qualities, and other information will be considered. The two primary criteria are your cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) and GMAT or GRE scores.
- The minimum acceptable scores for the GMAT are 450 total, 20 verbal, 20 quantitative scores, and 3.0 analytical writing assessment. However, receiving the minimum GMAT scores does not guarantee admission into the program. You should strive to achieve a good balance of verbal and quantitative scores. Recently, students admitted to our program had an average composite GMAT score of 550, with a range from 450 to 750. The average analytical writing assessment score for admitted students has been 4.0, with a range from 3.0 to 6.0.
- The minimum scores for the GRE are 149 on the quantitative section and 149 on the verbal section. However, receiving minimum scores do not guarantee admission into the program. Recently admitted students scored a 151 on the quantitative section and a 151 on the verbal section.
- The minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 in your undergraduate program, but meeting this requirement does not guarantee admission. Recently, the students beginning our program had an average GPA of 3.21, with a range from 2.75 to 4.0.
4. Take the GMAT or GRE and request that scores be sent to Ball State. The Miller College of Business will accept scores that are current (within the last five years) toward application. The code number for Ball State is 1051.
The GMAT or GRE is waived for any prospective student who has the following degrees from an accredited college or university: JD, PhD, PharmD, or MD.
Not sure which test is best for you? Review the following websites to learn more and find testing locations near you. If you still have questions, contact us.
The Ball State Graduate School offers more information about preparing for the GMAT and GRE.
5. Prepare a one- or two-page resume or curriculum vita for use by the Miller College of Business Admissions Selection Committee. Portray your work and educational history in a professional style. List employment in reverse chronological order, and include your title, dates of employment, and an indication of whether each listing was a part-time or full-time job. Also list your educational records in reverse chronological order and indicate dates of attendance and the degrees you obtained. Include any other information you would normally put on your resume. You'll be able to copy and paste this resume as you fill out the MBA application in next step.
6. Letters of recommendation. Provide four professional letters of recommendation. Those letters should be forwarded to the Miller College of Business .