Classes FAQ

How does a student receive permission to enter a full course?

A student can enter a full course by calling the department, not the professor.

Can a student add a course after the first week? How?

It is the sole decision of each faculty member to allow a student to add his/her course. To add a class late, the faculty member must write a letter outlining the permission, print it on departmental letterhead, and sign it. The student must present the letter to the Office of the Registrar located in Lucina Hall. Miller College Student Services has no role in late add of courses.

When are the withdrawal periods?

There is only one withdrawl period. It extends from the 6th through the 45th day of classes during a fall or spring semester. For summer semester, the withdrawl period is the 4th through 15th day.

What is the process for pulling a student out of classes for lack of a prerequisite? What courses are checked?

Student Services monitors prerequisite compliance for ACC 201, ECON 221, FIN 300, ISOM 135, ISOM 249, MGT 300, MKG 300, MKG 325, and MGT 491. Class lists and DAPRs are checked after summer grades have posted. Checks are performed each week until fall semester begins. During this time students are emailed that they are in violation of a prerequisite. Once the semester begins, checks on conducted everyday. If the student has not complied with the prerequisites and has not dropped the class, the student is administratively dropped from the class on the Monday of the 2nd week of class. Should you have ANY questions about students in your classes, please stop by WB 147.

How does a student withdraw from a course?

For fall and spring semesters, a student has the entire first week of courses to drop a course with no penalty. They do this through “Add/Drop/Registration” from the website services. After the first week, a student can withdraw from a course with a grade of “W” up until the decided upon withdrawal date. They accomplish this by completing a Withdrawal form and turning it in to the Registrar located in Lucina Hall. After this withdrawal date a student may only withdraw and receive a grade of “W” (instead of an “F”) if they are confirmed to have proper extenuating circumstances

What is the process for Late Withdrawal?

In compliance with University policy, late withdrawals are only considered based on a VERIFIABLE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE. Extenuating circumstance is defined as an occurrence or event that is not under the control of a student, such as long-term illness, family death, etc. Further, students’ reasons for requesting a late withdrawal must be verified through documentation, such as a letter from a doctor, funeral notice, etc. Please note: simply missing the deadline to withdraw or failing the class are not acceptable reasons to request a late withdrawal. To request a late withdrawal, a student must come to Student Services (WB 147) and complete a request form. After reviewing the situation Gayle Hartleroad generally consults with the professor of the course. As the Dean’s designate, Gayle approves or denies the late withdrawal. Even when a late withdrawal is processed, the faculty member still determines if the student is to receive a "W" or "F" at the end of the semester.

When and under what circumstances do I give an Incomplete grade? What paperwork is required?

An Incomplete grade is appropriate for a student who, because of some special circumstances such as illness, death in the family, etc, cannot complete the required class work by the time grades must be turned in for the semester. Do not give an “I” because a student is failing the class or not doing good enough work to meet their personal standards. When you assign a grade of Incomplete, you must complete a form you get from your departmental coordinator where you detail what the student must do and the agreed-upon completion date. The department chair must sign the form. The maximum time permitted for completion of such a grade is one year. If an “I” is not removed within the time agreed upon, it automatically becomes an F. When the student completes the work, you must fill out a change of grade form that can be obtained from your coordinator.

What should I do if a parent calls me about a student’s status or grade in my class?

Once students have enrolled at Ball State, they are protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also called the Buckley Amendment. The law was passed by Congress in 1974 and grants four specific rights to students:

  • the right to see the information that Ball State has concerning the student
  • the right to seek to amendment to those records and in certain cases append a statement to the record
  • the right to consent to disclosure of his/her records
  • the right to file a complain with the Department of Education Compliance Office in Washington DC.

To avoid violations of FERPA, DO NOT:

  • at any time use the identification number of a student in a public posting of grades
  • ever link the name of a student with the social security number or identification number in any public manner
  • leave graded papers in a stack for students to pick up by sorting through the papers of all students
  • circulate a printed class list with student names and identification numbers as an attendance roster
  • discuss the progress of any student with anyone other than the student (including parents) without the consent of the student
  • provide anyone with lists of students enrolled in your classes
  • provide anyone with student schedules or assist anyone in finding a student on campus – instead refer emergency requests to the Dean of Student's Office.

More information about components of FERPA is available.

What policies and procedures should be on my syllabi?

You have the right to NOT be available to your students 24/7. State on your syllabus when you will be available on phone, email, or in your office. State when you will not be available. Also state how long you will take to respond to phone calls and emails. For instance, you might want to state that you respond to emails within 24 hours, except on weekends. It is also advisable that you think through your plagiarism and cheating policies carefully and state them in the syllabus. This allows you to be consistent and fair with violators who then know the consequences before they decide to violate your policies. It is usually good to be specific about your attendance policy. You might want to cover such things as: What are your expectations in terms of attendance? What are the penalties for absences and tardiness? Can students make up homework due on days they are absent? What about quizzes or exams? Do you want to be notified ahead of time? What about athletes traveling in conjunction with their team? What about field trips for another class? Job interviews? Professional meetings?

BSU does have a student bereavement policy saying that students will be excused from class and have the chance to make up the work in the event of the death of a family member. The number of days excused depends on the distance to funeral services from Muncie. It is up to the student to provide documentation to the instructor. See p. 17 of the undergraduate catalog for details.

What accommodations are available for disabled students?

Although the need for accommodation for students with some disabilities may be obvious (e.g., students using a wheelchair and blind students), the needs of others, such as students with learning disabilities, may not be so clear. The responsibility for determining a student's eligibility for accommodation rests with the Office of Disability Services (DS). You should reasonably request that a student secure a letter from this office. Similarly, the determination of the nature of adaptations and accommodations may be worked out with the director of Disability Services. Faculty Resources, such as “Policies and Procedures Relative to Teaching Students with Disabilities”, “Accommodated Testing Administration”, and much more is available here.

What should I do if the student says he has a death in the family?

If a student is notifying you regarding an extended absence, the student should be directed to the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards (SC 224). The staff in the office of Student Rights and Community Standards assists students in notifying instructors if they experience an emergency and must be away from campus for an extended period of time. The staff will ask the reason for the absence if the student feels comfortable in sharing it and the date they anticipate returning to classes. In the event of an unanticipated absence in which the student will miss class for three (3) days or longer due to illness, injury, death in the family, or an emergency situation, students can contact the office at 285-5036. Staff will notify instructors of student absence. Upon return, students must follow-up with instructors regarding the opportunity to make up missed assignments. This notification is not an excuse, and it will still be necessary for students to provide documentation for the absence to their instructors when they return. If the absence is less than three days, the student needs to communicate directly with the instructor. As always, it is the instructor’s right to require documentation and decide whether or not to accept the absence as “excused”.

Miller College of Business
Whitinger Business Building, room 100
2000 W. University Ave.
Muncie, IN 47306

Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 765-285-8192
Fax: 765-285-5117
View E-mail Address