The following databases are accessible online. The retrieve feature of these databases is restricted to Ball State University faculty, staff, and students. Many of these can be accessed through www.bsu.edu/libraries. Click on "Databases" to see a full list of university-subscribed resources.
University Libraries Databases
University Libraries Databases with a Business Focus: http://www.bsu.edu/libraries/svl/databases/index.php?id=36&db=subject&ft=FALSE&ml=FALSE&bs=FALSE&in=FALSE&no=FALSE&on=FALSE
- Business Source Premier - Excellent database for research on any business topic, and also includes company profiles.
- LexisNexis Academic - Database of national and international business news, as well as company profiles.
- S&P Net Advantage - Provides stock analysis, company financial information, and industry analysis.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost) - Search for publications ranging from case studies to speeches and interviews.
- AGRICOLA - Search the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Library.
- American FactFinder - The U.S. Census Bureau's portal to economic, demographic, and geographic information.
- BASE: Bielefeld Academic Search Engine - Search more than 70 million documents via Bielefeld University Library (Germany).
- Book Review Digest Retrospective (EBSCOhost) - Search via 1903-1982 H.W. Wilson.
- Books in Print - Search for titles printed across the globe.
- Cabell's Directories - Search journals, calls for papers, and institutional publications.
- Cambridge Journals Online - Search by Cambridge University Press (England).
- Cardinal Scholar - Search for Ball State student theses & dissertations, faculty research & publications, and university records & publications.
- Census 1990, 2000, & 2010 - Economic and demographic data collected geographically every 10 years by the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Company Profiles - Includes company overview, key facts, business description, history,
key employees, major products and services, top competitors and
- Corporate ResourceNet - Excellent database for research on any business topic, and also includes company profiles.
- County Business Patterns - Economic data by industry; useful
for studying the economic activity of small areas, for analyzing economic
changes over time, and as a benchmark for other statistical series,
surveys, and databases between economic censuses.
- CQ Researcher - Encyclopedia articles offering non-biased coverage of business issues, as well as other topics.
- CQ Weekly - Search Congressional Quarterly, a magazine on government, commerce, and politics.
- dataZoa - Access more than 3 billion data series from contributors around the world. (Free through Ball State, but you must create a user profile.)
- Directory of Open Access Journals - An online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed
- Dissertations and Theses - A ProQuest search for dissertations and theses.
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) - Search for eBooks.
- EconPapers - Provides full-text access to journal articles, books and working paper in economics.
- Fed in Print - A database of Federal Reserve System economic research.
- Gale Directory Library (Gale Cengage) - Includes directories for companies & consultancies, media entities, and statistics & rankings.
- Health Business FullTEXT - Database of journal articles on the topic of health care administration and management.
- Indiana Business Research Center (IBRC) - Economic and demographic statistics for Indiana.
- IntelliConnect - Tax, audit, and financial planning entries for state, federal, and international.
- JSTOR - Database includes articles from older journals dating back to the 1800s
and often does not include recent articles from journals.
- Mintel Reports - Results of research studies about selected product classes in the U.S. and U.K. The studies are usually large surveys.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center - Provides current information on mutual funds.
- National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) - Working papers produced by NBER.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) - Search by country or region.
- OneSearch - A Ball State unified search for all entries in the University Libraries system.
- Oxford Handbooks Online - Scholarly research reviews across 14 subjects. By Oxford University Press (England).
- Pivot - Opportunities for research funding.
- Readers Guide Retrospective (EBSCOhost) - Search via 1890-1982 H.W. Wilson.
- ReferenceUSA - Provides addresses and phone numbers for U.S. homes and businesses.
- Regional Business News - Provides local and regional business sources from most parts of the United States.
- RIA Checkpoint - A complete resource for tax research.
- Small Business Resource Center (Gale Cengage) - Search business topics, types, plans, and tutorials.
- Springer Online Journals Complete - Providing researchers with access to millions of scientific documents from
- SRDS (Standard Rate and Data Service) - A monthly publication that provides various data for a variety of media. In particular, advertising rates are available.
- STATS Indiana - Economic and demographic statistics and characteristics for and about Indiana.
- ThomasNet: Thomas Register Online - Online directory of manufacturing companies and products.
- Value Line - Provides investment advisory services to mutual funds, institutions, and individuals.
- WorldCat - World's largest bibliographic database, catalogs the contents of more than 50,000 libraries in 90+ countries.
- and others
University Libraries Guides to the Business Category: http://bsu.libguides.com/sb.php?subject_id=3855
Other Resources from University Libraries
Additional Resources for Miller College of Business Faculty
- CRSP Indices/Excess Returns File - Links to retrieve series and introduction. To install CRSP, log onto the Ball State network, then use "Map Network Drive" to connect to \\cobstorage\CRSP and click on "installation_instructions.txt". This directory is updated with disks 2008-current. For the older version (data up to 2004), use the links on this webpage: www.bsu.edu/mcobwin/econ/database/index.html.
- CRSP Stock Files - Links to search and retrieve, introduction, and sample stocks. To install CRSP, log onto the Ball State network, then use "Map Network Drive" to connect to \\cobstorage\CRSP and click on "installation_instructions.txt". This directory is updated with disks 2008-current. For the older version (data up to 2004), use the links on this webpage: www.bsu.edu/mcobwin/econ/database/index.html.
- Eventus - State-of-the-art event study estimation and testing using CRSP
stock database or other stock return data and provides fast
event-oriented data retrieval.
- I/B/E/S Analysts' Estimates - Forecasted and actual data for earnings per share for both U.S. and international companies. Includes both forecast summaries and detailed forecasts. Updated irregularly.
- Research Insight North America - Compustat database for around 10,000 large, publicly traded companies in the U.S. and Canada. Updated quarterly. To install Research Insight, log on the Ball State network, then use "Map Network Drive" to connect to \\cobstorage\RI.
- Research Insight Global Vantage - 10 years of financial data for companies in more than 80 countries including the U.S. To install Research Insight, log onto the Ball State network, then use "Map Network Drive" to connect to \\cobstorage\RI.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis - U.S. Department of Commerce. National and regional data on gross product, income, and the balance of payments. Access to RIMS (an input-output model).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - U.S. Department of Labor. Access to data on employment, prices, wages, productivity, and more. Includes online access to the monthly labor review.
- Bureau of the Census - Access to numerous data sets that might be of interest, such as Census 2000, Census 1990, County Business Patterns, Zip Code Business Patterns, American Community Survey, Economic Census, Annual Survey of Manufactures, annual population estimates, and the Statistical Abstract of the U.S.
- CBER Brownfield Grant Writers' Tool - Assists grant authors
with accurate and relevant data about the demographic, economic health
factors pertaining to Indiana counties. Maintained by CBER.
- CBER Economic Impact Calculator - A tool for estimating the economic and fiscal effects of new business development. Maintained by CBER.
- CBER Economic Indicators - Summary economic and demographic statistics for the U.S., Indiana, and local areas within Indiana. Maintained by CBER.
- CBER Indiana County Profiles - Data on demographics, economy, entrepreneurial climate, youth and social capital of Indiana counties. Maintained by CBER.
- Global Insight (U.S. Basic Economics Database) - Links to search and retrieve, introduction, and sample series.
- Federal Reserve Board - Access to Federal Reserve Bulletin and all data published online by the Federal Reserve Board. These data include industrial production indexes, interest rates, exchange rates, and money stock measures. Selected data can be downloaded interactively.