The minor in sacred music requires 26 credit hours in applied study (private lessons), music theory, music history, ensembles, and a specialty in organ or voice.
- MUST 101 Sight Ear (1 credit)
- MUST 102 Sight Ear (1 credit)
- MUST 111 Music Theory (2 credits)
- MUST 112 Music Theory (2 credits)
- MUHI 200 Music Literature (2 credits)
- MUHI 330 Music History (3 credits)
- MUHI 331 Music History (3 credits)
- MUSC 499 Recital Hour (1 credit)
Take 2-5 Credits From
- MUSP 290 Intro Conducting (2 credits)
- MUHI 498 Church Choral Music/Hymnody (3 credits)
Take 0-1 Credits From
- MUSP 437 Small Ensemble (organ and church music credits) (1 credit)
- MUSP 438 Small Ensemble (vocal credits) (1 credit)
Take 1-3 Credits From
- MUSC 350 Large Vocal Ensemble (1 credit)
- MUSC 351 Large Vocal Ensemble (0.5 credits)
Then, Complete One Option
Option A: Organ, 8 credits <h4>
- MUHI 496 History of Organ Literature (2 credits)
- MUSE 458 Methods of Organ Teaching (1 credit)
- MUSP 203 Minor Study (3 credits total; 1-2 credits per semester)
- MUSP 377 Church Music: Services/Admin (2 credits)
Option B: Voice, 8 credits
- MUSP 203 Minor Study (3-4 credits total; 1-2 credits per semester)
4-5 Credits From
- MUHI 435 Music in the Baroque Era (2 credits)
- MUHI 436 Music in the Pre-classical Era (2 credits)
- MUHI 437 Music in the Romantic Era (2 credits)
- MUST 412 17th and 18th Century Compositional Practices (2-3 credits)
All students pursuing a music minor need to attend weekly recitals and 20 music concert events throughout the program.
Minor students are also expected to perform and participate in School of Music ensembles.
Are You Ready to Enroll?
Admission to all minor programs is based on an audition in applied music and a music theory exam. For some minors, an evaluation of piano skills is also needed. Auditions are scheduled on an individual basis and typically occur at the end of each semester. To begin the enrollment process and schedule an audition, please contact Lori Smith in the Office of Undergraduate Programs in Music.