Graduate Assistantships

*** The following information on graduate assistantships applies to all master's, doctoral, and artist diploma applicants. ***

A number of full- and half-time graduate and doctoral assistantships are available each year to students in the Ball State School of Music. Assistants are given teaching, performance, and administrative duties that supplement the work of the music faculty. See a list of available areas and duties.

Full-time assistants are assigned 20 hours of work per week; half-time assistants, 10 hours. Full-time assistants receive a stipend for the academic year, remission of the graduate course fee and the contingent portion of the general fee, plus an out-of-state fee waiver.

Half-time assistants receive a stipend and a tuition waiver equivalent to half that of the full-time assistant (they pay the entire dedicated fee). Students holding the assistantship for an entire academic year are given a tuition waiver for the following summer. The student pays only the dedicated fee for each semester or summer session of enrollment, the health and technology fee, and the applied music fee when applicable.

The total value of the assistantship for an out-of-state student who makes use of the summer waiver exceeds $21,000.

With appropriate academic progress and favorable work reports, master's and artist diploma assistantships are renewable for the second year and doctoral assistantships for up to three years. When students hold an assistantship at both the master's and doctoral levels, the total number of years on the award usually is limited to four.


  • Degree in music from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Demonstrated ability in performance, teaching, composition, or research.
  • Full admission to one of the following degree programs--master of arts in music, master of music, or doctor of arts with a major in music; or to the artist diploma certificate program.

Application Procedure
Applicants interested in an assistantship must submit a Graduate Assistantship Award. Please indicate your interest in the letter that accompanies your application materials. An on-campus audition or interview is required for doctoral applicants and preferred for master's and artist diploma applicants.

To be assured of consideration for an assistantship, the School of Music admissions file must be complete by February 15 (February 1 preferable). The file will include scores on the history and theory placement tests, a resume, transcript copies, letters of recommendation, the Application for a Graduate Award, and may include audition results, research papers, and compositions. Requests for assistantships will be considered after this date if any awards remain unassigned.

All application materials should be sent to Dr. Linda Pohly, coordinator of graduate programs in music. For more information, please contact Dr. Linda Pohly or the Graduate School.