Adam Marchand, a senior trumpet performance major, was selected as a finalist in the 2015 International Trumpet Guild Jazz Competition. The competition will be held on a May 29 at the International Trumpet Guild Conference in Columbus, Ohio.
Nathan Davis, a junior composition major, has composed music for a video tribute to David Letterman in celebration of his upcoming retirement. Read more about the video tribute.
Rachel Boo, Bryce Conway, Angela Hetrick, Cameron Keenan, Jillian LaDow, Andrew McGuire, Kasey Needham and Alisha Reeve were accepted into the inaugural Intercollegiate Masterworks Ensemble at the 2015 IMEA Professional Development Conference. They performed the Academic Festival Overture by Brahms and Dona nobis pacem by Vaughan Williams under the direction of Dr. William Weinert, director of choral activities at the Eastman School of Music.
Kyle Jones, a graduate student in composition and music theory, will present his composition Tiny Steps at the Open Space Festival of New Music at the University of Northern Colorado in February 2015.
Lauren Walker, a doctoral student in vocal performance, was selected to present at the Eleventh Annual New Voice Educators Symposium at Indiana University on February 21, 2015.
Adam Marchand, a senior trumpet performance major, was awarded a $1000 scholarship from the Indianapolis Jazz Foundation in November.
Carter Rice, a doctoral student in composition, had a performance of his work "I Don't Know What to do With Those" at the Electroacoustic Barn Dance in Fredericksburg, VA in November.
Julie Lyn Barber, a doctoral student in vocal performance, got a full-time teaching position in the department of Theatre and Dance at Western Kentucky University.
Singers from the School of Music participated in the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Indiana Chapter Competition at Indiana Wesleyan University on November 1.
The Ball State University Trumpet Ensemble has been invited to perform at the 39th Annual International Trumpet Guild Conference, to be held at the Valley Forge Casino Resort in Valley Forge, PA. The conference will run from May 20-24, 2014 and will feature a variety of exhibits, clinics, and recitals with legendary classical and jazz musicians. The BSU Trumpet Ensemble, including approximately 10-13 student members, will perform on the final day of the conference. The group will perform The Collective, an original composition by ensemble member Devin Fanslow.
Kiersten Alcorn, a freshman harp major, is the recipient of this year's Jan Pennington Gray Harp Medallion Award. Kiersten will receive $500 and recognition on the Harp Scholar website. In addition, Kiersten was one of ten finalists to compete in this year's Glenn Miller National Scholarship Competition where she was awarded second prize and a $2000 scholarship.
Aaron Anderson, a senior composition and music technology double major, had his work Bits and Pieces performed at the National Student Electronic Music Event (N-SEME), held at Georgia Southern University in February.
Suham Bello Brenes, a doctoral student in piano performance, was the first place winner of the World Pianist Invitational Graduate Musicians Division competition at The Kennedy Center.
Diane Burt, a doctoral student in vocal performance, gave two presentations at the International Congress of Voice Teachers in Australia.
John Horgeshimer, a doctoral student in saxophone performance, had one of his compositions premiered at the highSCORE New Music Festival.
You Jin Lee, an artist diploma student in cello performance, will participate in this year’s National Orchestral Institute.
Javier Mendoza, a doctoral student in orchestral conducting, is the artistic director of the Chicago Arts Orchestra which received the 2014 Illinois Council of Orchestras award, Professional Orchestra of the Year.
Andrei Muravev, an artist diploma student in bassoon performance, was selected to be a member of the Chicago Civic Orchestra for the 2014-2015 season.
Kyle Noonan, a senior bassoon major, will tour Europe this summer with the Blue Lake Orchestra.
Carter Rice, a doctoral student in composition, had his work Let Me See Your Face performed at the Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the US National Conference at Wesleyan University in April. His work I Don't Know What to Do With Those was performed at the National Student Electronic Music Event (N-SEME).
Dilaram Tishaeva, an artist diploma student in cello performance, was recently offered full membership in the Civic Orchestra of Chicago.
Singers from the School of Music participated in the Regional National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Competition.
• Valerie Weingart was awarded first place in the First Year College Women Division.
• Micaela Basilici was awarded second place in the Third Year College Women Division.
• Melissa Nolan was awarded third place in the Third Year College Women Division.
• Brandon Meuchel was awarded second place in the Third Year College Men Division.
• Taylor Sordelet was awarded third place in the Fourth Year College Women Division.
• Joanna Chatham received an honorable mention in the Fourth Year College Women Division.
• Gregory Emmanuel was awarded second place in the Fourth Year College Men Division.
• Jared Yoder received second place in the Musical Theatre category of the Third and Fourth Year College Men Division.
• Lauren Walker was awarded first place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 22-25), and received the Ralph Appelman Award for Most Promising Graduate/Upper Level Singer.
• Zhenghuan Yu was awarded second place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 22-25).
• Briana Sosenheimer was awarded first place in the Advanced Women and Men Division, and received the Irma Cooper Award for Most Promising Graduate/Upper Level Singer.
• Mary Kathryn Brewer was awarded second place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 26-30).
• Rebecca Rodden was awarded third place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 26-30)
• Marissa Zacharias and Laura Krell received honorable mentions in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 26-30).
• Julian Orlando Vera received first place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 31 and up).
• Julie Lyn Barber received second place in the Advanced Women and Men Division (ages 31 and up).
• Angela Carr received third place in the Advanced Women and Men Division.
This spring, doctoral choral conducting candidate Renae Timbie will be a Visiting Instructor of Music in the Department of the Arts at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at American University in Cairo, Egypt. She will be teaching two choirs, music appreciation, and beginning theory. Renae will return to Ball State in the summer to complete her degree.
Carson Weingart, an undergraduate pianist, won the state round of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) Young Artist Competition. Carson will represent Indiana and Ball State at the division competition in a couple of months.
Aaron Anderson, a senior composition major, had his compositions performed at two national festivals this semester – Electronic Music Midwest in Kansas City, KS and the Electro-Acoustic Barn Dance in Fredericksburg, VA.
Singers from the School of Music participated in the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Indiana Chapter Competition at DePauw University on November 2.
Doctoral candidate Cynthia Smith was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year. She moved to Basel, Switzerland in September and will return to the U.S. in June 2014. While in Basel, Cynthia will be researching documents in the Paul Sacher Foundation archive and organizing concerts of the music held in archive.
Jordan Miller, an undergraduate horn performance major, advanced to the final round of the International Horn Society Premier Soloist Competition. She performed in the finals during the 45th International Horn Symposium at the University of Memphis, held July 28-August 3.
Thomas Cochrane, a senior double bass performance major, advanced to the semi-final round of the International Society of Bassists Orchestral Competition, held at the Eastman School of Music this past June.
Copyright © 2015 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241