To apply to the DNP Program, you must provide the following:
- A completed DNP program application that can be filled out and submitted online
- Photocopy of your current registered nurse license
- Photocopy of your current advanced practice nurse certification
- A 2-3 page paper (typed, double spaced) discussing your reasons for pursuing the DNP, your career goals, and your specific areas of practice interest.
- A three-page paper, plus reference page on a topic related to your potential DNP project. Use American Psychological Association (APA) format.
- Three written recommendations using this recommendation form. See further instructions below.
- Entry Disclosure of Criminal Background Form
In order to accurately track and process your application, items #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 must be mailed together in one envelope to:
DNP Program Advisor
School of Nursing
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306-0265
- The three written recommendations must be completed using this recommendation form.
- Recommendations may be completed by health professional colleagues, faculty members, and current or recent employers (no more than five years ago)
- At least two of three recommendations must be from nurses with masters or higher degree
- Recommendations should not be completed by individuals you supervise
- The individual providing the recommendation must seal the completed form in an envelope with their signature across the sealed flap and return it to you for submission. Please note, envelopes not sealed or without a signature across the flap will not be accepted.
Your application with all of its supporting documents must be received at the School of Nursing in order to begin classes in January, which is the start of the spring semester. No action will be taken until all of your application documents have been received.
DNP Application Review Procedure
Ball State’s DNP Admission and Progression Committee will select the most qualified applicants for the DNP program based on a composite assessment of:
- Academic performance in all course work taken
- Clinical/professional experience
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Recommendations describing scholarly and leadership potential
- Consistency of reasons for pursuing DNP and career goals with Ball State’s DNP program curriculum and outcomes
The Admission and Progression Committee meets for review of submitted materials one time each year after the application deadline. The most qualified applicants will be invited for a personal phone interview with two or more members of the DNP Admission and Progression Committee. Admission to the program will be granted applicants determined to be the most highly qualified and the best match with Ball State’s DNP Program curriculum and outcomes.
Confirmation of Admission
Admission decisions will be made within 4-6 weeks of the application deadline. Offers of admission to the DNP Program will be sent on formal letterhead as an e-mail attachment. The offer must be accepted within 10 days after the date of the e-mail. New students must be available to attend a one day orientation on campus or via distance technology.