Prepare for a Career in Healthcare Facility Design
Those who earn our graduate certificate will be prepared to take the Evidence-Based Design Accreditation and Certification (EDAC) exam.Certification distinguishes you in this field. Among other career-enhancing benefits, you will be listed in a public and searchable directory of EDAC-certified individuals, a requirement for many healthcare facility construction or renovation projects.
Modern advancements of interior design within healthcare facilities has brought needed amenities and comforts to patients and their families.
Ball State’s graduate certificate in planning and design of healthcare environments builds on that trend with a multidisciplinary program that introduces you to the latest research in facility design and provides you with the expertise, knowledge, and tools to effectively design, manage, and evaluate such spaces.
Since all of the courses are offered online, you can continue your career while you pursue the certificate.
Whether you’re an interior designer, architect, nurse, healthcare administrator, facility manager, or other professional in an allied health field, our graduate certificate will equip you with the knowledge to design spaces that have a positive impact on the lives of patients, families, and healthcare workers.
What’s Distinctive about Our Program?
- To prepare you for certification, this program covers all sections of the EDAC exam.
- Interior designers, healthcare providers, hospital administrators, engineers, contractors, and researchers, as well as architects, should consider this program so they can play a more significant role in designing, managing, and evaluating such spaces.
- In addition to studying health science and the behavioral sciences, ethical and cultural issues, and evidence-based practice, you will participate in real-world projects. For example, students have surveyed and observed families with children who have autism and other disabilities while others have gathered data about the effect of the environment on the mental health of those with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Ball State’s award winning online programs feature a competitive price tag. We encourage you to compare our quality and our costs with others.
This 12-credit graduate certificate requires the following courses:
- FCID 610: Evidence-Based Design in Healthcare Settings (3 credits)
- FCID 612: Legal, Ethical, and Safety Issues in the Healthcare Industry (3 credits)
- FCID 614: Health Environments for Patient Populations (3 credits)
- FCID 616: Understanding and Practicing Research in Healthcare Design (3 credits)
Admission Requirements and How to Apply
You will first want to make sure you meet the graduate certificate admission requirements for the Ball State Graduate School.
Next, Ball State’s Department of Construction Management and Interior Design requires that you have a bachelor’s degree in architecture, interior design, medicine, nursing, or allied health fields such as health education and promotion, medical technology, or respiratory therapy.
There are no GRE requirements for the program.
- Fall semester: July 10
- Spring semester: November 15
- Summer semester: April 15
Students from Other States
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. Certain conditions may apply depending on what regulations your state has and what degree you are seeking. Learn more about state authorization for non-Indiana students.
This certificate is offered only in an online format. U.S. policies do not allow you to come to the U.S. and take only online courses.
However, you may be able to study online from your home country.
If you are receiving sponsorship from your government for your studies, please confirm with your sponsor that you are permitted to enroll in online education courses. It is your responsibility to determine if you can enroll in online courses per your sponsor (if applicable), and the laws and policies of your nation and the United States.
If you’re an international student, in addition to the admission requirements mentioned above, you will first need to meet the admission requirements for international graduate students. For information about the international admission process, contact the Rinker Center for International Programs.
Admission deadlines for international students are earlier. Please review the admission deadlines from the Rinker Center so that there is plenty of time to review your application before enrollment deadlines.
How online learning works Tuition and fees