Online and Distance Education Banner

Licensure Students

If you are teacher, counselor, or school administrator who needs to complete one or two courses to renew your teaching or administrator's license, make sure to select the "licensure status" on the Graduate School application.

You are required to supply the Graduate School with official transcripts verifying you earned a bachelor’s degree. You may also be required to send transcripts from other institutions you have attended.

To be enrolled as a licensure student, you must have had a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least:

  • 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or 
  • 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the latter half of your bachelor's degree program

However, if your cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 2.5, you may be allowed to enroll in a 9-hour probationary plan of study consisting of undergraduate courses only. Probationary students must earn at least a 3.0 in the 9 undergraduate hours to be considered for approval to take graduate courses.

To apply as a licensure student, fill out the Graduate School application, and indicate which type of license you are seeking.

Have Licensing Questions?

Ball State's Office of Teacher Education Services serves as a liaison between Ball State students and Indiana's state licensing agency, know as the Division of Professional Standards.

For students living outside of Indiana, staff there can also advise you where to seek the best information related to your state's requirements, as well as interstate agreement contracts that have entered into reciprocity agreements with Indiana for various education licenses.

If you have questions about licensing, we highly recommend you contact staff with the Office of Teacher Education Services.

Online and Distance Education
David Letterman Communication and Media Building (LB), Room 131
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday-Friday
Phone: 1-800-872-0369 or 765-285-1581
Fax: 765-285-7161
View E-mail Address