Students from Outside Indiana and State Authorizations

Ball State is currently not accepting any online students from North Carolina.  In addition, we are not accepting nursing students from some states. Review our state authorization list for more information. 

These situations can change, so please check back here for updates.

The U.S. Department of Education requires that any U.S. college or university offering online or distance programs to U.S. citizens in a state where it is not physically located to meet states' requirements to legally offer postsecondary, online education in that state. 

The regulations for authorization vary from state to state.

Ball State University, located in Indiana, is currently pursuing authorization from all states, plus the District of Columbia and U.S. territories.

All online, out-of-state and prospective students need to check this list to determine if their states currently allow them to enroll at Ball State. Please check regularly for updates.

If you are a U.S. citizen, do not reside in Indiana, and are thinking about enrolling in a Ball State online program, we urge you to review the regulations regarding authorization of your specific state.

If you become a Ball State student, you are responsible for checking program authorization and licensure requirements in your state of residence. Rules and regulations vary by state. If you move to a new state, you are responsible for ensuring our program is approved in the new state.

Complaint Resolution

If you have any questions or issues related to Ball State and state authorization, we encourage you to let us know first by contacting online@bsu.edu. We will make sure the person who can best help you will contact you within one business day.

You can also: