In 1966, Karl Rehfeld and his wife, Lea, moved to Muncie to begin a social work program at Ball State. In the 10 years that followed, the program emerged from a few courses to a full department with a curriculum accredited by the Council on Social Work Education in 1974.
In keeping with their dedication to helping students in the social work major, the Rehfelds provided a financial gift to the Ball State Foundation in 1981 to provide financial assistance for social work majors. With gratitude to the Rehfelds, our department provides this resource to students majoring in social work.
To be considered for the Rehfeld scholarship students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be full-time, undergraduate student majoring in social work.
- Have a distinction admission status as an incoming freshman.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for scholarship
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for financial assistance
- Demonstrate financial need
- Display a professional commitment to the field of social work through community volunteer and/or work experiences.
Awards may be renewed for subsequent years provided the student continues to meet the eligibility requirements.
Rehfeld Dobrow Macy Scholarship Application 2016-17