Frequently Asked Questions

The questions and answers that are included in this document are based on the most recent version of the rules for licensing The Advisory Board of the Division of Professional Standards voted to approve the revised rules on January 7, 2010. The rules became final when approved by the Attorney General and the Governor. The information below is an attempt to interpret the impact of the proposed rule on Ball State University candidates. The Office of Teacher Education Services and Clinical Practice continues to monitor changes at the state level, and when more definitive answers are available we will share them with our students and advisors.

What is REPA?
REPA stands for Rules for Educator Preparation and Accountability. It is the newly adopted rule for the licensing system for all educators. Now that REPA has successfully passed, it would replace Rules 2002 according to an approved timeline.

When would REPA go into effect?
The implementation date for the first changes under REPA is May 14, 2010. There will be a phase in time for some of the changes, including changes in the testing requirements for licensure. Students currently enrolled in licensing programs have until August 2013 to complete those programs and December 2013 to apply for licensure with all licensure requirements completed. After those dates all initial licenses will be issued under the REPA rules.

How will REPA affect current Ball State University Teachers College candidates?
Candidates who enroll in an approved teacher preparation program at Ball State University for initial licensure under Rules 2002 will have until August 31, 2013, to complete this program.

Will I still be required to complete the tests?
Yes. Praxis I has been replaced by CASA.  Praxis I tests taken and passed by August 31, 2013 will still count.  Beginning September 1, 2013, students must take and pass the CASA test.  In addition, Praxis II taken and passed by May 31, 2014 will still count.  However, beginning Feb. 10, 2014, students will be required to also take the Indiana Core Assessment pedagogy test.  After May 31, 2014, students can no longer take the Praxis II tests.  They must take the Indiana Core Assessment Tests for all license areas as well as the pedagogy test.

Will I still work through the licensing advisor to obtain my initial license?
Yes. Candidates are still required to work through the licensing advisor to obtain their initial practitioner license, which is the name of your first teaching license. At Ball State the license advisor is located in TC 205.

How long will my initial license be valid?
The first license that you receive is your initial practitioner license. This is a license that is valid for a two–year (2-year) period. This is unchanged from Rules 2002.

Is the limited criminal history report still required for licensing?
No. A criminal history report is no longer required for licensure. However, an expanded criminal history report is required for employment. You will need to check with the school corporation where you are hired for the specific details and instructions regarding the expanded criminal history report. Schools do require the limited criminal history report before you begin your field experiences.

Will the fees for licensing change?
The fees for licensing will remain the same. The fee for an initial practitioner license is $35, plus a small processing fee for the online LVIS application.

Will there be any changes in student teaching requirements?
No. The rules will not have any impact on student teaching.

Will I still be able to use the online licensing application system?
Yes. The online license application process has not been changed for initial license applications.  

I am an undergraduate student. Will I still be required to complete my digital portfolio and LAMP?
Yes. Required assessments are still required prior to the completion of your Ball State University program.

Am I still assigned a mentor after I receive my first teaching position?
Beginning with the 2010-2011 school year, first-year teachers must complete the Beginning Teacher Residency Program. The requirements of the program are determined by the school district. The district may include a school corporation sponsored mentoring program. Beginning teachers will have an initial conference with their building principal to discuss the requirements of the Beginning Teacher Residency Program at the beginning of the school year. More information can be found on the Department of Education website.

Am I still required to complete a portfolio after I receive my first teaching position?
The current portfolio assessment for beginning teachers has been eliminated. It will be replaced by an assessment completed by the school corporation.

What are the requirements one has to obtain the first five-year proficient practitioner license?
After May 14, 2010, the building principal serves as the decision maker on whether the beginning teacher successfully completes the Beginning Teacher Residency Program. An initial conference between the beginning teacher and the building principal will be held at the beginning of the school year to determine the requirements that the beginning teacher must complete to successfully meet the requirements of the Beginning Teacher Residency Program.

When you secure your first teaching position, you should immediately contact your principal to schedule your initial conference.

Those not immediately employed may renew the initial practitioner two (2) times with an LVIS application directly to the state. If the person has not completed the residency program after six (6) years, s/he must complete the current content area exam to renew the initial practitioner license.

What are the continuing education requirements for license holders under REPA?
The educator must complete a Professional Growth Plan (PGP) that contains 90 points. The categories for those points are outlined in the rules. Six semester hours of college course work is equivalent to 90 points. Activities and points are verified by the building principal. Candidates may still complete six (6) semester hours of college course work as verified by the building principal or the license advisor at the institution where you took the 6 hours. The licensing advisor no longer approves college course work in advance for renewal. If the educator is not employed at the time of renewal, then the Department of Education determines the appropriateness of the activities for renewal.

Will a master's degree still be required to obtain a principal's license, as it is under current rules?
Currently, principals will have to complete an approved educator preparation program and a master's degree is required to obtain the license. At the present time the only approved programs are the degree programs at the Indiana preparation programs. 

Is teaching experience still required as a prerequisite for a principal's license, as it is under current rules?
Yes. The proposed rules requires a proficient practitioner license as a prerequisite for a principal's license. In order to obtain a proficient practitioner license, you must have taught for at least two academic years full-time in a public or accredited private school or schools.

How will my M.A. degree affect my license renewal?
Completion of any master's degree qualifies you for a 10-year accomplished practitioner license if you hold a proficient practitioner's license and have completed six (6) semester hours of course work since your last license renewal. 

Will the emergency permit still be an option for beginning teachers?
Yes. The emergency permit for teachers who are hired for positions for which they are not fully licensed will remain an option and the process for application is the same.  Candidates must hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree for an Emergency Permit.  The school corporation will apply for the permit. Emergency permits are only issued after the teacher is employed. The emergency permit for administrators has also been retained.

Are there any changes with the requirements for a substitute permit?
No. The application procedures will be the same. The application is made through each school corporation. If you want a substitute permit with different school corporations, you may need to apply for each one. The permit will still be valid for three (3) years.

January 2015