Beginning July 1, 2012, applicants who apply for an “initial” license or a renewal of any license must have successfully completed training in and hold valid certification in each of the following procedures:

  • Cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes a test demonstration on a mannequin;
  • Removing a foreign body causing an obstruction in an airway;
  • The Heimlich maneuver; and,
  • Use of an Automated External Defibrillators

By definition, “license” includes both licenses and permits issued by the Office of Educator Licensing and Development.

Applicants for the following licenses will be required to provide proof of valid certification:

  • Initial Practitioner Administration license
  • Initial Practitioner Instructional License
  • Initial Practitioner School Services License
  • Original Workplace Specialist License
  • Original Emergency Permit
  • Original Transition-to-Teaching Permit
  • Original Reciprocal Permit
  • Renewal of any existing license including Emergency Permits and Workplace Specialist license
  • Original Proficient Practitioner Instructional license
  • Original Proficient Practitioner Administrative license
  • Original Proficient Practitioner School Services license
  • Conversion to an Accomplished Practitioner license

Applicants for the following are exempt from this requirement:

  • Renewal of a Substitute Permit

A list of approved providers can be found on the IDOE website: CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED Certification.