Teaching Licenses

Can I get the Indiana Director of Career and Technical Education License through this program?

Some of the courses required for the Indiana Director of Career and Technical Education License are available online through the Department of Technology, but there are additional requirements.

For more information, please see the Indiana Director of Career and Technical Education Initial Practitioner License Requirements (PDF), or contact the Ball State Office of Teacher Education Services.

Is there some type of alternative teaching license in technology education that I can gain from taking these courses?

Yes, but this is open only to those already in possession of a current Indiana secondary, senior high/junior high/middle school or all-grade teaching license which must be convertible to a Rules 2002 license. Those who do not hold a Indiana teaching license cannot take advantage of this program. The program of study includes 18 graduate hours, including two courses that must be taken on-campus in Muncie, Indiana, typically during a short timeframe in the summer. Please see theĀ Program of Study for the Technology Education Alternative License Program under Rules 2002.

Will this degree get me licensed to teach in my state?

Only your state Office of Teacher Licensure can determine whether the degree will enable you to obtain a teaching license. Before you contact them, you should know that these master's degrees were not designed to include all of those hands-on laboratory-based classes typically found in undergraduate teacher education programs in technology education and career and technical education. Instead, these graduate programs concentrate on curriculum, instruction, history and philosophy, research, and other areas that can best help an existing teacher become more effective. It is not uncommon for states to require many credit hours of hands-on laboratory courses for teacher licensure in these areas.