The bachelor of arts/bachelor of science (BA/BS) degree in dance will allow you to grow in your knowledge of dance while studying a variety of other subjects within a competitive liberal arts environment.
We will work with you to customize your educational experience, integrating dance with your other areas of interest.
- Training encompasses improvisation, choreography, world forms, dance studies, conditioning, anatomy, pedagogy, and dance production.
- Advanced course work covers modern, ballet, jazz, tap, and musical theatre.
- Immersive learning opportunities facilitate creative collaboration and transformative learning.
- A personalized senior capstone experience combines your passion for dance with your individual career goals.
- A low student-to-faculty ratio, small class size, individual mentoring, and hands-on advising allow you to receive individualized attention and develop a curriculum that suits your interests.
- As an undergraduate-only program, we take a proactive approach to career preparation, guiding you as you develop a portfolio of work and experiences that will transition you from college to your professional life.
- Graduates work in a variety of fields and are employed as dance educators, dance scholars, choreographers, dance therapists, studio owners, museum educators, fitness professionals, and health professionals.
Download the Full Eight-Semester Plan (PDF)
Our faculty are committed to helping you develop your individual technique, artistry, creativity, and intellect by providing a thorough understanding of the historical, social, and conceptual aspects of dance.
- Our low student-to-faculty ratio will allow for your personal development as an individual artist.
- Small class sizes ensure you will get hands-on advising and mentoring.
- All faculty are working professionals with extensive experience in the real world, so you have unique access to outstanding performance and intensive study opportunities outside the classroom.
Our dedicated, caring faculty will immediately welcome you into our community and guide you throughout your entire experience at Ball State. Our dance faculty have worked professionally with numerous national and international companies.
READ THEIR BIOS
Performance and Work Opportunities
You will always have opportunities to work—both in and out of the classroom—to prepare you for the real world of professional dance.
- Our undergraduate-only program allows you to perform each semester, beginning with your first, in both faculty- and student-choreographed productions.
- Off-campus opportunities include festivals in New York, Chicago, and beyond. In recent years, students have performed at Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, DUMBO Dance Festival, and Midwest RAD Fest, among others.
Ball State BA/BS dance alumni are ready to enter a variety of professions upon graduation, and they love nothing more than helping each other and future graduates of the program.
- Ball State dance alumni have performed on Broadway and with numerous national and international companies; they also are working as educators, choreographers, studio owners, and health and fitness professionals.
- Ball State has active and supportive alumni networks in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and other major cities.
Recent dance alumni credits include Motown, The Musical (National Tour), Thodos Dance Chicago, Broadway Christmas Wonderland tour, Ballet Quad Cities, and Common Thread Contemporary Dance Company.
SEE THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
In addition to faculty who are working dance professionals, we bring in distinguished guest artists on a regular basis to work with you—in classes, workshops, and the production season. These seasoned practitioners will enrich your educational experience immeasurably, while also allowing for professional networking opportunities.
SEE OUR GUEST ARTISTS
Paying for Your Education
On top of the many forms of financial aid Ball State offers, the Department of Theatre and Dance offers a wide variety of merit and need-based scholarships to our own students at all levels and in all areas. We provide tens of thousands of dollars in support to make the college experience more affordable.
Apply to the Program
Are you interested in the BA/BS in dance? While the program has an open admission policy, you are required to complete a placement audition to determine appropriate technique levels. You are strongly encouraged to complete the placement audition and interview with the dance faculty prior to your studies to familiarize yourself with the program.
We hold on-campus auditions, and we also hold dance auditions in Chicago in early February.
You must apply for admission to the university prior to scheduling your placement audition. Placement audition requests are made by filling out the supplemental dance application that is part of the online application to the university.