Effective Study Tips
- Set up a study schedule.
- Know your professors' names and contact information.
- Study in a comfortable environment.
- Study without distractions.
- Study with others in your class.
- Stay current with your assigned readings.
- Take breaks (average attention span is 20 minutes).
- Put information into your own words.
- Read in increments (20 pages or 10 pages here and there).
- Connect new information to old information.
- Take notes on major points in the text.
- Read with a pencil or pen in your hand and reactively make comments.
- Reward yourself for productive study sessions.
- If you continue to have trouble in an area or subject, seek out tutoring at the Learning Center.
For Online Students - Keep a file of some sort on key concepts, resources, or possible test questions. Don't let important ideas slide away!
The Learning Center
North Quad (NQ), Room 350
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306
Hours: Academic Year: Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Summer: Monday-Thursday 12 p.m.-4 p.m.