How we define "Judgment"
All prompts for the Writing Proficiency Exams are written to elicit the expression of a judgment. The essay you write will, then, express a clear judgment and use reasoning to support that claim.
Below is the definition of "judgment" we use for the Writing Proficiency Exam:
- Mature, sophisticated response to a
- Expressed as a claim which responds
clearly to the question asked.
- Is supported by well-developed
reasoning which indicates that the writer understands the context within which
the question must be viewed.
- Does more than simply parrot back or
revolve around critique of material or ideas of others.
- Draws on multiple sources and
experiences to express reasoning.
- Understands and writes to the
expectations of the audience.