Altrusa Club of Muncie, Indiana
Altrusa Members, 1953
Muncie ’s Altrusa Club received its charter in 1924 with 20 charter members. Altrusa is an international service organization of business and professional women. In keeping with the organization’s motto “Patriotism, Efficiency, Service,” members seek to take active roles in community, national, and international affairs. The local Club Altrusa Members, 1953 has raised money for Ball Memorial Hospital and the Emens College‑Community Auditorium Building Fund, provided college scholarships to local and foreign students, organized Career Day convocations in local high schools, and contributed funds and labor to a variety of other community projects and organizations.
Muncie Business and Professional Women`s Club
Civic Night Program, 1939
In 1923 the Muncie Woman’s Association of Commerce became the Muncie Business and Professional Women’s Club. Membership was open to all local women interested in BPW’s aims, including the recognition of women in business and better working conditions for women workers. The Club quickly grew to more than 200 members. The Club donated funds to a variety of local causes and established a scholarship fund for students attending Ball State Teachers College. Meetings focused on civic and community projects and on women’s issues, including the 1960 Indiana Equal Pay Bill, which the Club opposed because members feared equal pay would price women out of many jobs.
Copyright © 2016 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241