Using EndNote at the Ball State University Libraries
EndNote is a bibliographic software package that allows you to create a library of citations. You may either use EndNote to search CardCat and retrieve citations or you may save citations from a database to import into EndNote. Using EndNote you can easily add citations in most citation styles to your paper as you write.
EndNote may be accessed from public workstations in Bracken Library, Science-Health Sciences Library, and the Architecture Library. If you are affiliated with Ball State University you may download a copy from the Technology HelpDesk (Ball State username and password required).
Note: If you are using EndNote on any library computer make sure you save your EndNote library to a removable disk such as a flash drive or your iLocker account. Computers in the library erase saved files when they are rebooted.
Once you have downloaded and installed EndNote you will need to do two things.
- Download the most recent custom Ball State connection file (save in EndNote's Connections folder). The most recent connection files are already installed on the computers in Bracken Library and the Science-Health Sciences Library.
- Update EndNote. To do this click on Start then EndNote and then Update EndNote.
Using EndNote with Databases on the Ball State University Libraries Databases Page
EndNote connection files cannot be configured to search the Databases available from the University Libraries' Articles and Databases page. Many databases allow you to mark records and export them automatically into EndNote. A few databases will require you to mark the records you wish to include in your paper as you search the database, save them as a text file, and import them into EndNote. See "Importing Citations into EndNote" below.
How do I use EndNote?
Creating a Library for Citations
- Click on Copy_ References to and then New Library.
- Enter a name for the file and press Save.
- Note: If you are using EndNote in the library, save the library to a removable disk.
Exporting Citations from a Database
- From within an article database add/ mark the references you wish to add to your EndNote library.
- Look in the database for a link or icon that says something Print/ E-mail/ Save and click on it.
- The Print/ E-mail/ Save page usually will have a link or icon which says Export, click on that link and follow the directions. You may have options like Export to Bibliographic Manager or Export to EndNote.
Importing Citations into EndNote
- Open a library by clicking on File, Open, and then Open Library.
- Select the library you wish to open.
- Select a database filter.
- Click on Choose File...
- Select the file containing the citations you wish to import and click on Import.
Selecting Database Filters
- Click on File and then Import.
- Click on the box next to Import Option.
- If the database name does not appear on the list, select Other Filters from the list for additional options.
Searching EndNote Citation Libraries
- Open a library.
- Click on Tools and then Search Library.
- Enter your search terms and press Search.
Removing Duplicate Citations
- Open your citation library and find the duplicate citations by clicking References on the menu bar.
- Click Find Duplicates, this will highlight the duplicate citations.
- Highlight the records you wish to delete and click Edit on the menu bar and Cut.
Selecting a Citation Style
- Open a library.
- Click on Edit and then Output Styles.