Ball State University issues I-20s and DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility to hundreds of students every year. In most cases, the documentation we require will also be needed at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for the F-1 or J-1 visa (keep a copy for that purpose).
Please use the information below to calculate the funds that you must document. If you are a newly admitted student, we are required by law to verify that each person has enough funds to cover an academic year of study in the U.S. If you are a current student applying for an extension, you will need to document finances for the period of your extension. Scanned copies can be sent by email but original statements must be mailed to International Student Services at Ball State. Please note that funds must be documented for an academic year of study. Students will need to document additional funding for dependents (spouse and children) as listed below.
Acceptable Proof of Funds
• Submit bank statements in your name showing balance of account. Scanned copies can be sent by email but original statements must be mailed to Ball State. A sample bank statement can be found here.
Private sponsors (must include both of the following):
1. Letter(s) that shows the relationship between you and the sponsor(s), the amount of support and the length of support or the Agreement of Financial Support-Private Sponsors form in place of a letter.
2. The sponsor's bank or other financial statements showing account balance. Scanned copies can be sent by email but original statements must be mailed to International Student Services at Ball State. A sample bank statement can be found here.
Ball State University Financial Awards:
Follow this process ONLY if you have been awarded a graduate assistantship or scholarship from Ball State University. You must include all of the following:
1. Ball State award letter (Scholarships, Graduate Assistantships, etc.) printed on Official Ball State letterhead or the Agreement of Financial Support - Academic Departments form
2. The letter or form must indicate the amount and length of support
3. Email the Agreement of Financial Support - Academic Departments form to the respective Ball State department for completion. The student or BSU department should send the form to International Student Services.
4. If the financial award from Ball State does not document enough funding to issue and I-20 or DS-2019 then you must provide additional proof of funds such as Personal Funds or Private Sponsor funds (see above).
Other governmental/institutional support or award letters:
• Students relying on support from their government, such as the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission, must send a financial guarantee letter with the sponsor’s name and address.
ALL SUPPORTING FUNDING DOCUMENTS FOR BALL STATE MUST:
• be no more than one year old (older statements will not be accepted), You may want to obtain more recent funding documents for your visa interview.
• should be in English if possible (especially names)
• clearly show in your national currency and the US dollar ($USD) equivalents
• be from statements that show liquid assets that can be converted to cash
• salary statements, tax documents and stock portfolios are not acceptable
Please first email and then send by post all funding documentation to International Student Services:
Rinker Center for International Programs
Attention: International Student Services
Ball State University
L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room 102
Muncie, IN 47306 USA
Missing or separate documents will only slow down the process. Your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019) documents cannot be processed until all funding documents are received.
Copyright © 2014 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241