Required Funding Documentation

Ball State University issues Certificates of Eligibility (I-20s and DS-2019s) to hundreds of students every year.  In order to receive your Certificate of Eligibility, you must follow the instructions below.  In most cases, the documentation we require will also be needed at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for the F-1 or J-1 visa, so you may wish to keep a copy for that purpose as well.

Funds must be documented for an academic year of study. Students will need to document additional funding for dependents (spouse and children) that will join you in the United States. 



  1. Calculate Funding

  2. Determine Type of Funding

  3. E-mail scanned funding documentation AND send original documents by regular post


Rinker Center for International Programs 
Attention: International Student Services 
Ball State University 
L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room 102 
Muncie, IN 47306 




All supporting funding documents for Ball State must:
  • be no more than one year old (older statements will not be accepted)
    • you should obtain more recent funding documents for your visa interview
  • be in English if possible (especially names)
  • clearly show in your national currency and the US dollar ($USD) equivalents
  • be from statements that show liquid assets that can be converted to cash
Salary statements, tax documents and stock portfolios are not acceptable.  Missing or separate documents will only slow down the process. Your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019) documents cannot be processed until all funding documents are received. 

International Services
L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room 102
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Phone: 765-285-5422
Fax: 765-285-3710
View E-mail Address