Applying for a PIN
The most crucial step in the financial aid process is filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To begin the process, you need to get a U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you're a dependent student, your parents must apply for their own PIN. With your PINs, you can electronically sign the FAFSA.
The PIN simplifies the application process and allows you to get your results faster. Within five business days of applying, you will receive an e-mail with information about how to retrieve your PIN online. If you don't provide an e-mail address on the FAFSA, a PIN mailer will be sent to your permanent mailing address within 10 days.
Once you receive your PIN, do not disclose or share it with anyone. It serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records. Be sure to keep it in a safe place, as you will be able to use the same PIN each year to apply electronically for student aid and access your U.S. Department of Education records. Do not give your PIN to anyone, even if you have someone else fill out your FAFSA for you.
Use your PIN at these U.S. Department of Education Web sites:
FAFSA on the Web
- View your Student Aid Report (SAR) after your FAFSA has been processed
- Make corrections to your processed FAFSA
- Print a copy of your SAR information
- Re-apply for financial aid in the future
- Electronically complete and sign your Direct Loan promissory notes
- Complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
- Get general information about your Direct Loan, including your account balance and payment history
- Change your repayment plan and payment due date
- Request a deferment or forbearance
- Make your loan payment online
- Complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling
Direct Loan Consolidation
- Get information about consolidating your federal student loans
National Student Loan Data System
- View information about federal loans and grants you have received
(Note: FAFSAs and other documents require Ball State's federal code, 001786.)
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Lucina Hall, room 245
Muncie, Indiana 47306
8:00 am-5:00 pm (Monday-Friday)
Walk-in counseling hours:
8:30 am-4:30 pm (Monday-Friday)
Phone operator hours:
8:00 am-4:45 pm (Monday-Friday)
Phone: 765-285-5600 or
Fax: 765-285-2173 or