We’re glad you have chosen to move in to University Apartments and we look forward to your arrival. Here are a few details to make your move to UA simple. If you have any questions, please contact us.

When will I get my apartment address?
The UA office will provide you your apartment assignment upon your arrival. Though your specific apartment number will likely be needed for Renter’s Insurance which is required (see more information provided below), it is not due until 30 days after your contract start date by which time you will have your address.

How do I check in and receive my key?
When you arrive in Muncie, first stop by the UA Office located at 3460 N. Tillotson Ave. Our regular business hours during the academic year are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and during summer the hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Check-in usually only takes 15 minutes.

If you wish to have someone else pick up your key, they must provide a written letter with your signature that states you give our office permission to give them your key. They will need to show a picture ID. You will still need to check in at the UA Office to complete the move-in process.

How is rent charged?
When you pick up your key, your first month's rent will be automatically billed to your bursar's account for your convenience. Future rent payments will be due by the billing date or no later than the first day of each month. Payment is accepted at the Office of the Bursar and Loan Administration, Lucina Hall, room B-31, in the form of cash, check, or money order. If the first of the month falls on a weekend or university holiday, rent will be due on the last business day before the first of the month. For late payments, a fee of $25 will automatically be assessed to your account at the end of the business day.

You can quickly and conveniently pay your rent online using Ball State’s eBill service. (Please note: If you use Cardinal QuickPay and have additional charges on your bursar's account, QuickPay is set up to credit the oldest charges first, which might not cover your current rent due. If this is your situation and you wish to pay your rent first, you must visit the bursar's office in person to make this arrangement.) 

Will I be assigned a roommate?
Students are expected to find their own roommates and request/confirm each other as part of the online apartment application. UA does not assign roommates. If you wish to search for someone, use the roommate search web that is part of the online application.

Am I required to have renter's insurance?
Yes, all residents must show proof of renter's insurance within 30 days of moving in. Ball State does not carry insurance on any personal belongings of residents. Visit the Office of Risk Management web site for more information about preferred vendors for insurance.

Where can I view a floor plan of my apartment?
Visit our web to see the floor plans for each apartment type. Please note that drawings are not to scale.

Where are laundry facilities?
In Anthony, there are two laundry rooms - one is located in the single story apartments next to apartment #2, and the second is located on the first floor of the three story building of apartments #111-119. For Scheidler, the laundry building is located in the middle of the complex by the second shuttle stop.

Is there bus service available?
During the academic year, a free shuttle bus system is available for students. The Ball State shuttle does not run during the summer or when classes are not in session. However, the Muncie Indiana Transit System (MITS) runs all year and students may ride free of charge.

Are meal plans available to residents?
Meal plans are available from Ball State Dining. Students may visit any of the 14 dining locations across campus.

How do I request telephone service?
Most students choose to bring their cellular phone for service. Ball State no longer uses traditional "landline" phones, but you can request service to be activated using "Jabber." Jabber is a software program that allows you to make and receive calls from your laptop/PC, tablet, or smartphone. Voice service through Jabber also gives you Caller ID and a voice mailbox that's integrated with your Ball State email. Because Jabber runs on your device, you have access to make and receive calls from anywhere you have an active Internet connection. Students also can receive discounted cellular services and equipment from Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint through BSU Connect.

Will I need to register my car?
If you plan to park a vehicle at Scheidler or Anthony, you must purchase a parking permit from Parking Services. Each roommate or partner with a car also must purchase a Ball State permit. In addition you will need a resident sticker which may be obtained from the UA Office at no charge. Residents are permitted one resident sticker per licensed driver in the apartment, with a maximum of two stickers per apartment.

Where do visitors park?
In Anthony, visitors may park in a posted visitor space and display a visitor pass at all times. After 5 p.m., non-student visitors can use the visitor parking permit to park in the C-1 green commuter parking lot. Parking is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In Scheidler, visitors may park in a posted visitor space and display a visitor pass from 8 a.m - 5 p.m.weekdays. After 5 p.m. weekdays and on weekends, visitors must park in a posted visitor space without the visitor permit. Visitor permits are available at the UA Office. Visitors parked in residents' spaces will be ticketed.

Are storage facilities available?
Each Scheidler apartment has a storage unit on the patio.

May I bring a pet?
Only fish are permitted. Please contact our office for details about service/comfort animals.

What happens if I cancel my lease?
Cancelling your lease will result in the forfeiture of your deposit and a responsibility to pay rent through the semester until December 22 or April 15.

What happens if my roommate leaves before the end of our lease?
If one roommate move out without fulfilling the lease terms and conditions, the remaining roommate's rent will increase to full rent two weeks after the roommate moves out. When a roommate breaks the lease, they will be responsible to pay rent through December 22 or April 15.

What specific items should I bring?

  • Furniture (unless you are leasing a furnished apartment. Furniture is provided by CORT.)
  • Window coverings
  • Cleaning supplies for the kitchen, bathroom, and other areas of the apartment (When you move in, our office will supply you with a shopping list of preferred products.)
  • Broom, dustpan and mop
  • Shower curtain and liner
  • Tools (basic items like a hammer, pliers, and set of screwdrivers)
  • Show shovel (residents are responsible to clearing snow from their sidewalks to the main sidewalk)
  • Clothes and personal items
  • Bedding and towels

If I forget something are there stores nearby?

Many stores are within a short driving distance from University Apartments, and most are on the MITS bus line: Meijer, Menards, WalMart, Lowe's, Rural King, Marsh, Aldi and other smaller dollar and discount stores. The Muncie Mall and Target are located on the north side of town too.