Students already living in University Apartments may request a transfer to another apartment at the end of their lease. Please follow the information below to request a transfer:
Transfer Policy: The transfer policy is stated in the contract Conditions of Occupancy, D.7., and states: “No transfers are permitted between apartments except for upgrade/downgrade, unless the UNIVERSITY, in its sole discretions, determines special circumstances exist which warrants an exception. A transfer fee will be assessed. If a transfer results in the vacancy of a formerly occupied unit, a transfer fee of $200 will be assessed.”
Completing and submitting a Transfer Request Form does not guarantee that you will be permitted to transfer. Transfers are limited to one per year. If you have transferred in the last 12 months, you may not be permitted to transfer again.
Transfer Charge: The transfer charge for most transfers will be $20.00. However, if the transfer results in an apartment vacancy which changes the total apartment occupancy, the transfer charge is $200. If you wish to transfer directly from your apartment to a new apartment, even if it is at the end of your lease, a transfer charge will be assessed.
Roommate Information: If you currently have a roommate who will not be transferring with you, you will be required to obtain your roommate’s signature on this form. The remaining roommate will be responsible for full rent two weeks after the transfer is complete. If they choose to not sign the transfer form, we cannot permit a transfer. If you choose to move into an apartment already occupied by a roommate, you will be accepting the apartment in its current condition as well as being responsible for the condition of the apartment when you vacate. UA staff will not clean the apartment if you are unhappy with the condition. It is very strongly recommended that you check the apartment in advance and discuss any concerns with your potential roommate.
Eligibility for One- and Three-Bedroom Apartments: One married couple or one single student is the maximum number of people for a one-bedroom apartment. To be eligible for a three-bedroom apartment, you must have two or more children living with you. Birth certificates, proof of pregnancy, or custody order (in cases of guardianship) will be required before a transfer is permitted.
Transfer Process Information:
- Transfers are not permitted at busy times of the year such as July/August and December/January. In most cases, priority to transfer is determined by the date the transfer form is turned into the University Apartments Office.
- If a transfer is offered, you will have one week from the date you pick up your key to move, clean your current apartment, and return your old apartment key(s) to the University Apartments Office. If you fail to complete the transfer within one week, a $25.00 per day late charge will be assessed for each day you are late. If you have a spouse/domestic partner, a second key cannot be issued until the old apartment keys are returned.
- The apartment you vacate must be left in excellent (very clean) condition. If you fail to leave the apartment clean and damage free, you will be charged appropriately. Excessive cleaning/damage charges of $100 or more may make you ineligible to renew your contract for a future term. When you receive your key to transfer, you will be given information about how to properly clean your apartment.
- A transfer will not be possible if you are leaving on summer storage. You must be available to move when an apartment becomes available. You may, however, be eligible to go on summer storage once you complete the transfer.
- Transfers are not available to residents who are delinquent in their rent or have some other policy violation (pet, unauthorized resident, poor housekeeping, etc).
- If contract renewal time is approaching, you must sign a renewal contract in order to remain eligible for a transfer.
- If you accept a transfer and then cancel, you may be charged $200 for cancellation. This charge is assessed when we hold an apartment for you and have turned other students away who would have accepted the apartment type.
Please contact the University Apartments Office at 765-285-5095 for more information.