Professional Hall Staff and Graduate Assistants

Ball State is very proud of its Housing and Residence Life program, which is nationally recognized for excellence. Within this program, there are three positions that offer a direct opportunity to assist students in having a good academic experience. These positions are listed as follows:

Residence hall directors: Ball State employs full-time professional staff members called residence hall directors to manage the residence halls. These staff members hold at least a master’s degree and live in an apartment within the building to serve as a resource for students.

Assistant hall directors: Ball State hires graduate students who are pursuing a master’s degree (often in student affairs) and work directly as graduate assistants with the residence hall directors in the residence halls. Assistant hall directors also live in apartments within the building and serve as a resource for students.

Resident managers: Resident managers are graduate students who are pursuing master’s degrees and work as graduate assistants in the University Apartments community. Resident managers also live in each apartment community and serve as a resource for student residents. 

If you have specific questions not addressed here, contact Housing and Residence Life directly at 765-285-1863 or 800-382-8540 or e-mail Cathy Bickel. And check out this video about the Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education (SAAHE) graduate program at Ball State.

Housing and Residence Life
LaFollette Complex (LA), room N-10
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (summer 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.)
Phone: 765-285-8000
Fax: 765-285-3743
View E-mail Address