A Summer Reservations Team (RT) member is often the second level of staff a guest comes in contact with in the summer while attending orientation or a camp/conference at Ball State University. A RT member’s primary responsibilities are behind the scenes operations of guest management, crisis response and providing quality customer service to the guests. RT members are staff members of the Office of Housing and Residence Life and are supervised by a Housing & Residence Life professional staff member.
- Reservation Team Members must have a 2.5 GPA and submit a referral form before being interviewed.
- Must have lived 1 semester in a residence hall on Ball State’s campus.
- Must be available for employment May 11, 2017- August 4, 2017. Must be available for the entirety of the contract.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week during June 21 – July 2, 2017 and July 30– August 4, 2017 as vacation time will not be granted for these dates. Variance in work hours offered will depend on the week.
- Cannot take summer classes aside from one online course which must be approved by supervisor.
- Work approximately 30-40 hours a week.
- Attend all staff meetings as deemed necessary by the supervising hall director (on average 1/week).
- Attend all trainings.
- Not eligible for additional employment on-or off-campus.
The following are to be expected as common tasks and responsibilities one would perform as a RT member. A RT member would need a basic level of proficiency in these areas. Additional training would be provided to aid in learning these skills and expectations.
- Maintain a supportive and cooperative attitude in regard to fellow staff members and supervisors.
- Assist with building preparation and administrative task with Hall Director(s) and Housing and Residence Life office.
Management Component of Responsibilities
- Coordinate room assignments and changes in the StarRez occupancy management system. Maintain an accurate StarRez database for guest moves and needs.
- Facilitate orientation and conference check-ins, hall assignments, hall check-in and check-outs.
- Must work at the front desk check-in shifts Sunday through Thursday between 7pm-Midnight during Orientation on a rotational basis. These desk hours are a work expectation of the RT member position.
- Inspect rooms for damages and maintain a daily log of "lost and found" items.
- Report all emergencies and situations to their supervisor(s).
- Maintain an accurate cash register and money log for guest payments, refunds, etc. Process credit card payments.
- Complete room inventories and public area inventories for the hall.
- Construct and maintain hall bulletin boards, informational signs, and other decorations as directed.
- Manage, audit and process in key inventories.
- Have a thorough knowledge of and ability to work the front desk if needed. Awareness of Summer Desk Staff responsibilities and procedures is expected.
- Be on duty as assigned from 7 p.m. - 7 a.m. or 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Duty nights will be assigned at the beginning of the summer. This includes walking the buildings in use, be on call to respond and assist guests as needed. Complete at least 2 sets of rounds and be visible in the hall during duty coverage (as determined by supervising and conference hall director).
Customer Service Component of Responsibilities
- Provide effective and quality customer service to all guests.
- Serve as a source of information concerning Ball State University and the Muncie community.
- Communicate, role model, and consistently enforce HRL handbook and conference policies.
- Be the first contact person in the event of a guest concern or emergency. There will be a director on duty to serve as a resource person.
- Communicate professionally with conference coordinators, hall directors, university offices and guests.
- On-campus housing to stay in a single A/C room for the summer at no charge (a value of approximately $1075).
- A $1,150.00 decline balance summer meal plan
- A stipend of $2,150 paid out on a bi-weekly basis.
- MicroFridge and bike lockers available upon request at no charge.
- May work up to 10 hours a week at the Front Desk for an additional hourly pay of $7.25 as long as it doesn’t set the staff member over 40 work hours total that week and is approved by supervising hall director.
- Opportunity to gain valuable leadership experience, administrative skills and skills in personal interaction and growth.