The Summer Resident Assistant (RA) is responsible for the development of a residence hall community consisting of approximately 30-60 students. The Resident Assistant is a staff member of the Office of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) and reports directly to a supervisor who is an assistant residence hall director or residence hall director.
- Enrollment in Summer School (no more than 6 credit hours per session)
- Work outside the Office of Housing and Residence Life is not permitted
- Hold at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average
Live in the residence hall as assigned by the Office of Housing and Residence Life during the time of employment
Be in good standing with the Office of Housing and Residence Life
Be available to work at least two weekends per month and holidays
Be available to work both summer sessions
- Act as a community facilitator using the Housing and Residence Life Intended Learning Outcomes and programming
- Actively support and demonstrate the HRL Mission and Diversity Statements
- Communicate, role model, and consistently enforce the HRL handbook policies by facilitating and influencing the development of mature behavior
- Serve as a source of information concerning university procedures, housing services and policies, and make referrals when appropriate to other campus and community agencies
- Report all emergencies and student incidents to their supervisor(s)
- Prepare hall for transition to Summer School from academic year operation and from Summer School operation to academic year operation
Provide effective and quality customer service
Must work 15-20 hours per week at the residence hall desk
Work desk shifts in accordance to the supervisor's expectations
Participate in opening and closing hall preparation for each summer session.
Facilitate resident check-in and check-out.
Abide by all desk staff expectations, complete room inventories and public area inventories for the hall
Construct and maintain hall bulletin boards, informational signs, and other decorations as directed
- Attend all staff meetings as deemed necessary by your assistant hall director or hall director
- Attend any training, individual or staff meeting your assistant hall director or hall director deems appropriate
- Be on duty as assigned. Duty nights will be assigned at the beginning of each summer session.
- Be the first contact person in the event of a guest concern or emergency. There will be a director on duty to serve as a resource person.
- Complete at least three sets of rounds and be visible in the hall during duty coverage
Salary equal to full room, limited board (meals), and a stipend of $130 per summer session
Additional compensation of $7.25/hour for time worked at the front desk
Opportunity to gain valuable leadership experience and skills in personal interaction and growth
Air conditioner installed at no cost
MicroFridge and bike locker available upon request at no charge