With state-of-the-art technology and environmentally friendly construction, the remodeled DeHority Complex is a fitting home for the Honors Living-Learning Community and complements the Honors College's new home, the Ball Honors House.DeHority Complex features central air conditioning as well as rectangular double and single rooms for students, along with a limited number of suites. Semiprivate restrooms are available for specific rooms. You can take advantage of an exhibition hall and space for meetings and presentations, along with a new computer lab, fitness room, lounge space, laundry facility that uses card readers, and a music practice room. Furniture in the DeHority is stackable with desks, chairs, beds, dressers, and wardrobes for each resident. One wired Ethernet outlet is available in student rooms, and wireless Internet service is also available throughout the building. Each room also has a phone jack. While this complex does not feature an eat-in food service, the nearby Woodworth Commons, Noyer Centre, and Micro Café dining locations offer a variety of choices. DeHority was remodeled to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standards as developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.HistoryThis complex, which first opened in 1960 as four all-women’s halls, was named for several women who were involved with Ball State during its early history. Grace DeHority was a former dean of women at Ball State from 1922 to 1945. Before coming to Ball State, she taught and served as a principal in the Elwood, Indiana, public schools. Sharley DeMotte served as associate professor of English and journalism at Ball State and also the advisor for student publications from 1925 to 1954. She also was the director of publicity for the Indiana State Normal School—now Ball State—during that time. Mary Beeman was the head of Ball State’s Department of Home Economics (now the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences) from 1929 to 1951. She established the Beeman Historic Costume Collection after being given a trunk of old clothes from the Ball family. The Mary Beeman Club (now Ball State Family and Consumer Sciences Association) was named in her honor. Barcus Tichenor was the head librarian at Ball State from 1921 to 1947. During her tenure as head librarian, the library expanded to more than 75,000 books. Susan Trane was the chair of the Department of Art at Ball State from 1922 to 1948. She specialized in art education and enjoyed teaching students the love of teaching others to create things of beauty.
Note: Drawings of room types are not to scale.
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241