Senior Distinguished Service Award for Outstanding Community Service
Award and Purpose
This award recognizes an outstanding graduating senior who has exhibited an exceptional commitment to community service as a volunteer during his or her undergraduate years at Ball State University. The recipient will receive a cash award of $1,000.
The applicant must be graduating with an undergraduate degree during the 2016/17 academic year (includes December 2016, May 2017 and July 2017 graduation dates). A fully completed application must be received by the deadline in order to be considered.
Application Deadline & Important Dates
Applicants must submit a completed application by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 20, 2017.
- All Application Materials Due - March 20, 2017 (5 p.m.)
- Candidates Selected for Interview - April 2017
- Notification Letters Sent Out - Late April 2017
- Winner Announced at Commencement - May 6, 2017
Applicants must submit ALL of the following items by 5 p.m. on March 20, 2017. Materials must be delivered to the Office of Student Life, 133 Pittenger Student Center Muncie, IN 47306. Applicants can call (765)285-2621 or email Ben Wright, Assistant Director of Student Life, with any questions.
Applications must include:
- Application Form
- Reflection Statement
- Personal Learning Statement
- Academic Transcript (unofficial or official)
Selection Criteria and Process
A selection committee comprised of representatives from the Muncie community, Ball State faculty, staff, and Ball State students will review application materials, select and interview finalists and determine the 2016/17 awardee. Applications will be judged on the basis of the following criteria:
- The applicant's impact through service on the population served.
- The applicant's demonstration on an authentic and sustained commitment to service.
- The applicant's service summary and statements effectively communicate and support the overall application.
- The applicant's interview with a committee of Ball State and Muncie stakeholders.
- Two references that assess the applicant's reliability, initiative, and team building among other categories.
The Tom and Pam Smith Scholarship was developed for students studying teacher education or business. Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale; demonstrated financial need; involvement in community service related activities and returning to Ball State University in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Please type the answers to the following questions on a separate sheet(s):
- Please list all campus activities or organizations of which you are a part, the number of years that you have been a member, and the offices that you have held.
- Please list all service activities that you are involved in outside of the university.
- Please list any previous and current work experience.
- In a 1-2 page essay please answer the following questions:
- What is your definition of leadership and how have you displayed leadership in co-curricular activities at Ball State University?
- As a leader, how do you and would you encourage new Ball State students to serve the greater Muncie community?
- What is the biggest lesson you have learned as a leader?
- Please provide us with a list of 2 references and contact numbers.
Applications for the Tom and Pam Smith Scholarship must be submitted to the Office of Student Life (SC 133 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 19, 2017. Finalists will then be contacted for an interview to occur on April 20 or April 21.
To be considered, students must be undergraduates (current freshman, sophomores, and or juniors) who plan to attend Ball State University for the 2017-2018 academic years.