1950s: Great Beginnings
On October 26, 1951, the articles of incorporation and bylaws were filed with the Secretary of State and officially established the Ball State University Foundation. The first board of directors meeting soon followed in the office of Ralph J. Whitinger, BS ’29, LLD ’68, a local accountant and board member.
1960s: Growth and Expansion
Ball State saw new growth when it changed from a teachers college into a broad-based university under President John R. Emens. Fundraising efforts are directed toward the John R. Emens College-Community Auditorium and brought in more than $1.5 million.
1970s: Continued Growth and Maturity
The foundation passes the million-dollar-mark in assets and funds grow rapidly to $6,587,292 in 1979. New avenues of investment and fundraising are explored.
1980s: Transition and Expanded Horizons:
Between 1980 and 1989, assets grow sixfold, from $6.7 million to $41.2 million. More than half of that is provided for university support. The foundation staff also expands during this period.
1990s: Expectations Continue
The foundation experienced a period of great transformation during the 1990s, largely a result of the task forces implemented by the foundation board of directors. During this period the foundation modified its investment policy, strengthened its financial organization, broadened board membership, and established a scenario for long-range planning.
2000 to present: Providing Maximum Sustainable Support
Economic turmoil during this decade made a significant impact on returns for the foundation. However, the foundation was still able to continue providing significant support to Ball State. Even in a turbulent economy the foundation managed to achieve the third highest investment returns in its history: +20.6 percent, behind only fiscal years 1985 and 1997.
Copyright © 2014 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241