Ball State dedicates Mueller Lobby in honor of music professor, wife
Topics: College of Fine Arts, Administrative, Alumni
December 5, 2008
President Jo Ann M. Gora congratulates Professor of Music Erwin Mueller and his wife, Barbara, on the naming of the Music Instruction Building~~~s lobby in their honor. The couple recently pledged $1 million toward the establishment of a permanent endowment to provide scholarships for music education majors.
The sound of a timpani was a fitting herald to the unveiling of signage that marked the Dec. 6 dedication of the Music Instruction Building's new Barbara D. and Erwin C. Mueller Lobby.
The naming of the lobby is in recognition of a recent gift from the Muellers, who are Ball State alumni. Erwin Mueller is Ball State faculty member who recently celebrated 50 years at Ball State. He launched his career at the university in 1958, teaching percussion.
A wind ensemble and symphony band concert featuring Erwin Mueller preceded the dedication ceremony.
President Jo Ann M. Gora was present for the ceremony and praised the Muellers for their longtime contributions to the university over the years. Gifts from the Muellers have led to the creation of the Barbara D. and Erwin C. Mueller Percussion Scholarship and the Percussion Emergency Fund, which creates graduate assistantships and mitigates student financial hardships.
The Muellers' recent pledge of $1 million will go toward the establishment of a permanent endowment providing freshman merit scholarships for music education majors.
"The center of their lives has been the effect they have had on hundreds of Ball State students over the past five decades." Gora said. "Erwin is one of those passionate professors who bring learning to life each day, and Barbara shares his passion to teach and mentor the students of this university. You don't have to spend much time with the Muellers before they are talking about the many times they have had 'their kids' over to the house for dinner or to chat after a performance."