Accreditation 2013: Review/comment period extended
November 15, 2012
Faculty, staff, students, alumni and the local community now have until Nov. 30 to review and comment on Ball State University's draft self-study report
for institutional accreditation.
Broad campus and community participation is essential to the university's efforts to secure continuing accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools for another 10 years. The self-study report can be viewed on Ball State's accreditation website, which also includes online comment forms, a feedback survey, and archived webcasts of the recent public forums.
About the Report
Ball State's draft self-study report critically examines the university's successes, and in some cases shortcomings, in meeting the five broad criteria and 21 specific core components for excellence, accountability and improvement established by the Higher Learning Commission. Those criteria address:
- university mission as a guide for operations
- integrity in the form of ethical and responsible conduct
- quality programs, resources and support for teaching and learning
- assessment and improvement of teaching and learning
- institutional resources, planning and effectiveness
Related issues include:
- student retention and graduation
- effective faculty and staff
- collaborative governance
- integrated planning
- attention to diversity
- commitment to the public good
- freedom of expression and pursuit of truth
- responsible use of knowledge
- enhanced educational environment
Ball State has been accredited since 1925 and received its most recent 10-year accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission in 2004. Continuing accreditation will validate the quality of Ball State's programs, help the university plan for improvement and enhance the value of a Ball State degree.
The final self-study report will be submitted to the commission next spring, and a peer review team will visit the campus in October 2013. For more information about the accreditation process, visit www.bsu.edu/accreditation, e-mail HLC2013@bsu.edu or call 765-285-3716.
By Ted Buck, Senior Marketing Manager