Interim Associate Dean of the College of Sciences and Humanities
Ph.D., University of Connecticut, Ph.D., 1982
M.S., Villanova University
B.S., Villanova University
Our general interests are in Developmental Biology and Teratology, the study of embryo abnormalities.
Specific goals: The specific goals of our lab are to characterize proteins that normally regulate the cell cycle in preimplantation mouse embryos. We are also interested in the effects of anticonvulsant drugs like Dilantin on the regulation of the cell cycle and more specifically its effects on DNA synthesis in the second cell cycle in early mouse embryos. Dilantin causes developmental delays and specific abnormalities in human embryos and delays in DNA synthesis could be a mechanism for some of the observed delays. We have also begun a new project characterizing the effects of Dilantin on sperm in the mouse looking at the expression of calcium channels that are important for motility and at sperm proteins that bind to the egg zona pellucida and plasma membrane.
In our research, we:
- Characterize the normal expression of Cyclins A, D and B, DNA Polymerase Delta catalytic subunit and Cdk 2 using immunofluorescent confocal microscopy.
- Determine how Dilantin alters the expression of the cyclins to understand its effect on embryo development
- Examine how Dilantin alters the timing of DNA synthesis in the second cell cycle S phase whether it alters activity levels of DNA Polymerase Delta using DNA synthesis assays.
- Use motility assays using light microscopy and immunofluorescence confocal microscopy to examine how Dilantin alters the motility of mouse sperm at physiological concentrations and induces abnormalities of the tail. We also examine the Dilantin induced reduces in sperm ability to bind to the zona pellucida of eggs by in vitro binding assays.
- Study how Dilantin alters expression of Calcium Channel proteins and sperm/egg binding proteins using immunofluorescence confocal microscopy and Western blotting.
Publications and Presentations
Waclaw, R.R. and Chatot, C.L. (2004). Patterns of Expression of Cyclins A, B1, D, and E, and Cdk2 in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos. Zygote 12: 19-30.
Burket, C., C.N. Vann, R.R. Pinger, C. L. Chatot and F. Steiner (1998). Minimum infection rate of Amblyomma Americanum by Ehrlichia Chaffeensis in southern Indiana. J. Medical Entomology 35(5):653-659.
Chatot, C.L., J .R. Lawry, B. Germain, and C.A. Ziomek (1997).Analysis of Glutaminase Activity and RNA Expression in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos. Molec. Reprod. Devel. 47:248-254.
Hubbard, M. and Chatot, C. L., Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting 2016, Indianapolis, IN. Male Infertility Due to Dilantin: Examining Potential Decreases in Sperm Motility and CatSper Calcium Channel Abundance in Mouse Sperm Cells. Poster (March 2016).
Mughmaw, K. and Chatot, C. L., Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting, 2016, Indianapolis, IN. Assessment of DPH Effects on Sperm-Egg ZP binding and Protein Expression of β-1,4-Galactosyltransferase and Proacrosin. Poster (March 2016).
Chatot, C. L., Cornielle-Dipre, A., Tolliver, A. R., Indiana Academy Annual Meeting 2014, Indiana Academy of Science, Indianapolis, IN, "Dilantin Slows Development of Preimplantation Mouse Embryos by Reducing Levels of DNA Polymerase and Rates of DNA Synthesis during the Second Cell Cycle.". (March 15, 2014).
Chatot, C. L., Hunt, D., Indiana Academy of Science Annual Meeting 2014, Indiana Academy of Science, Indianapolis, IN, "Effect of Dilantin on the Ubiquitination of Cyclin A in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos.". (March 15, 2014).
Chatot, C. L., Pachiarcz, N., Indiana Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting 2014, Indiana Academy of Sciences, Indianapolis, IN, "The Effects of Dilantin on Male Fertility and Sperm Indices in Mice.". (March 15, 2014).
Cornielle-Dipre and C. L. Chatot (2012). Dilantin Alters Levels of DNA Polymerase δ in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos during G1 and S Phase In Vivo. VIII International Interdisciplinary Scientific Investigation Congress, June 2012.
K. Hecke, P. Vernasco and C. L. Chatot (2011). Expression Patterns of Phosphofructokinase Isoforms in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos. Indiana Academy of Science, March 2011.
J. Anderson, M.D. Tolle and C. L. Chatot (2011). Dilantin alters Cyclin A protein expression but not mRNA Expression in Second Cell Cycle Preimplantation Mouse Embryos. Indiana Academy of Science, March 2011.
M. Tolle and C. Chatot (2008). Effect of Dilantin on Expression of Cyclins A and B1 in Preimplantation Mouse Embryos. Indiana Academy of Science, Oct. 2008.