Form W-9S - Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN or ITIN)

If you are a U.S. resident for tax purposes, you may be eligible to claim a tax credit on your federal tax return if you paid qualified educational expenses to Ball State University. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 provides educational tax incentives for eligible taxpayers and requires educational institutions to report qualified tuition and related expenses to the Internal Revenue Service via Form 1098-T annually. Form 1098-T must list the name, address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN) of each person enrolled by the institution.

If enrolled during the tax year and Ball State University does not have a U.S. TIN (Social Security number or individual identification number, whichever is applicable) for you:

Please complete Part I of the Form W-9S, Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number, with your name, address, TIN (even if you believe you have supplied this information in the past) and Ball State ID number and sign and date Part II. If you do not have a U.S. TIN and you have applied for one or intend to apply for one soon, write "Applied For" in the taxpayer identification number field. A foreign national/nonresident alien student who has never applied for a U.S. TIN may check the appropriate box in Part III.

Complete the form and return to the Office of the Registrar by one of the following methods: 

1.     Mail the completed form to:

        Office of the Registrar
        2000 W. University Ave.
        Muncie, IN 47306-0725

2.     Deliver the completed form to:

        Office of the Registrar
        Lucina Hall, Room B-43

The Internal Revenue Code section 6723 penalty of $50 may apply to any individual who is required but fails to furnish his or her TIN to an institution upon request. Please contact the Office of Registrar if you have any questions, and please be advised that the information you provide will be used to update our student database.