The Career Center is responsible for insuring that student candidates for student jobs meet the minimum requirements for eligibility to work in the United States and for the university. Minimum qualifications are briefly discussed with the candidates but you are the best judge of whether or not the candidate meets your expectations. The following guidelines govern student employment eligibility.


  • All student employees must be continuing, degree-seeking Ball State students enrolled, at least, as half-time (6 hours undergraduate / 5 hours graduate) students. Students who withdraw or have been academically disqualified from the university are immediately ineligible for student employment. If they continue to work after completion of a Ball State University degree or after having been academically disqualified, they will be considered to be working in violation of their employment agreement with the university which requires them to be a continuing, degree-seeking student.
  • Students may not be employed after they have graduated unless they are enrolled for the next term and are working toward additional B.S.U. degrees.
  • Students are not eligible for student employment if they have been notified by the Office of Financial aid and Scholarships that their financial aid prohibits them from working.
  • Guest, special, non-degree, high school, auditing, and continuing education students may not work on campus.
  • Students must complete federal and state withholding forms (W-4 and WH-4) and the federal Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9) upon application for student employment.  With few exceptions, this is a one-time requirement.
                Proof of eligibility will be required for the federal I-9.  Most students use:
                            A valid driver’s license or their BSU student I.D. and
                            Either an original social security card or an original birth certificate. 
                            A valid passport may be used in lieu of the above.
                            A complete list of approved documents is available on the web.
  • Ball State University uses the Federal E-Verify authentication process to confirm that those hired by the university are eligible under the law to hold employment within the United States.  the university will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
  • International or Non-Resident Aliens might require additional clearance from International Programs to qualify for eligibility.

Academic Year

  • All student employees must be continuing enrolled at least half-time (undergraduate: 6 hours; graduate: 5 hours) each semester of the academic year that employment is sought or continued.
  • Students may work no more than 20 hours a week or 40 hours during a two-week pay period. They may work up to 40 hours a week, not to exceed 8 hours a day, during academic breaks.
  • Students who withdraw or have been academically disqualified from the university are immediately ineligible for student employment.


B.S.U. students are allowed to work up to 40 hours a week, not to exceed 8 hours a day, (or 80 hours in a two-week pay period) regardless of the number of credit hours they are taking.

Students may qualify for summer employment provided they are:

  • Incoming or first-time students who are incoming freshmen or transfer or graduate students who have not previously attended Ball State University and will be enrolled at least half-time or more for the coming fall semester, and have paid their enrollment deposit for the fall.
  • Continuing students who were enrolled at Ball State University at least half-time during the preceding spring semester and will be enrolled at least half-time the next fall.
  • Re-enrolling students who were not enrolled the previous spring semester but are enrolled at least half-time for the coming fall semester.
  • Students who are graduating from the university at the end of summer and were enrolled half-time the previous spring. Note: Because of their anticipated graduation, they must be enrolled second summer session in order to work both sessions.