Susana V. Rivera-Mills
Vice Provost of Academic Programs & Learning Innovation
Oregon State University
A 13-member provost search committee, in partnership with the firm Witt/Kieffer, is charged with conducting a comprehensive and inclusive search for Ball State’s next provost and vice president for academic affairs. The administrators, faculty, and professional staff President Mearns selected for the committee represent a wide range of academic and institutional interests, as well as a diverse cross section of our campus community.
The members are:
- Kay Bales, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services and Dean of Students (Chair)
- Mary Barr, Chief Marketing Officer, Marketing and Communications
- Mark Helmus, Senior Vice President for Development, University Foundation
- Sotiris Hji-Avgoustis, Chair, Department of Management, Miller College of Business
- Ryan Hourigan, Director of the School of Music, College of Fine Arts
- Jim Lowe, Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning and Management, Business AffairsTarek Mahfouz, Associate Professor of Construction Management, College of Architecture and Planning
- Renae Mayes, Assistant Professor of Education Psychology and School Counseling, Teachers College
- Kristen McCauliff, Associate Professor of Communication Studies, College of Communication, Information, and Media; Acting Assistant Provost, Office of the Provost
- Melinda Messineo, Interim Associate Provost for Diversity and Interim Director of the Office of Institutional Diversity, Office of the Provost
- Eric Rubenstein, Associate Professor of Biology, College of Sciences and Humanities
- Dan Waechter, Assistant Professor of Journalism and Associate Chair, College of Communication, Information, and Media
- Mitch Whaley, Dean, College of Health
Selection Process Timeline
December 2017 - Mid-January 2018 - Nominations and applications submitted to Witt/Kieffer.
Mid-February 2018 - Initial interviews with candidates.
March 2018 - On-campus interviews with candidates.
April 2018 - Final selection.
Download the Provost Prospectus (PDF)
View Qualifications (PDF)
Academic Affairs Org Chart (PDF)
Procedure for Candidacy
Witt/Kieffer is pleased to be supporting Ball State University in its search for a new provost and executive vice president for Academic Affairs.
Suggestions of candidates, comments, and questions about this search may be directed to:
Zachary A. Smith, PhD
Robert W. Luke
The administrative assistant for this search is:
When writing or forwarding information about this search, please send via email to:
Items that cannot be emailed can be sent to:
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Ball State University
Attention: Zachary A. Smith, PhD, Philip Tang,
and Robert Luke
2015 Spring Road, Suite 510
Oak Brook, IL 60523
About Ball State
Ball State University was founded in 1918 and is located in Muncie, Indiana, 55 miles northeast of Indianapolis. At more than 22,500 students, enrollment for the 2017–18 academic year is Ball State’s largest ever. Students come from all Indiana counties, all 50 states and 68 countries. Ball State’s seven academic colleges offer 190 undergraduate majors, 130 undergraduate minors 140 graduate programs and 200 study abroad programs. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. Three of every four Ball State graduates choose to live, work and play in Indiana. Alumni hold leadership positions in businesses and communities across the state and the nation.Ball State has been named one of the best universities in the Midwest by The Princeton Review for more than a decade.