Transcript Request FAQ
Questions about electronic transcripts? Try our Electronic Transcript FAQ page...
How do I determine if I'm a current student and qualify for a paper copy of my transcript at no charge?
If you are currently enrolled in a term that is in session you quailfy as a current student. Students have 60 days past their last registered term to request paper copies of their transcript at no charge. If enrollment is not continued after that time charges would apply.
How long does it take to process my transcript request?
If you are requesting your transcript to be mailed, the normal delivery method is through first class mail. Transcripts are produced 3 to 5 days after receipt of your order. Allow another 5 to 7 days for delivery via United States Postal Service.
Transcript requests are not processed or mailed on days the university is closed (weekends/holidays). Requests received while the university is closed will be processed the next business day in the order received.
What if I have a hold on my student record?
If you have a hold on your student record, we will not process your transcript request until the hold has been cleared. If you have a hold, we will notify you and provide the contact information for the department that placed the hold. It is your responsibility as the student/requestor to clear the hold.
If you are a current student, you can check for university holds at http://my.bsu.edu/.
What if I need expedited service?
If you require special handling for paper transcripts, we offer overnight transcript delivery for a $50 fee (in addition to the per copy transcript fee of $12). Overnight orders must be entered through the National Student Clearinghouse site by 12:00PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) in order to be processed same-day. Those orders not completed by 12:00PM will be processed on the next business day and therefore impact overnight delivery. Overnight delivery option does not include Saturday delivery.
How will I be updated on the status of my request?
Status updates will be e-mailed to the requestor as the order is processed. Examples include when the request is received by the university (if National Student Clearinghouse request, after consent form is completed and submitted), if a hold is present on the student record, and when the transcript is sent/mailed.
Requestors can also check the status of their requests through the National Student Clearinghouse website.
What are the different processing options for requesting my transcript?
- Process now – providing no university holds exist, request will be fulfilled immediately
- Hold for grades – request is held for processing until after semester grades are posted, usually 3 to 5 business days after term ends
- Hold for degree – request is held until pending degree is posted, usually within 10 to 30 business days after term ends
What are the different delivery options for transcripts?
- Hold for pick up – request is processed but not printed until the requestor visits the registrar’s office in person. The requestor will receive an e-mail notification the transcript is ready to be picked up. Make sure to bring a valid photo ID.
- Mail - normal delivery is through first class mail. Transcripts are produced 3 to 5 days after receipt of your order and updates are sent to the requestor each time the status changes. Allow another 5 to 7 days for your transcript to be delivered via United State Postal Service.
- Electronic - Ball State University now provides requestors the option of receiving their transcript as a PDF file via a secure online platform provided by the National Student Clearinghouse. Like a paper transcript, the electronic version is official and can be sent to anyone with a valid e-mail address. If you are interested in this service, please select the option on your order form.
- Overnight delivery - if you require special, expedited handling we offer overnight service (request must be received and consent form returned to National Student Clearinghouse by noon in order to process). In addition to the $12 per copy transcript fee, there is a $50 fee for expedited service.
Is everyone eligible to order an electronic transcript?
The short answer is yes! That said, if you attended Ball State University prior to 1988 please be patient as your transcript order may take more time to process.
What if I need to send an attachment with my transcript?
We can do that! If you have an attachment that needs to be sent with your transcript, please email us or call us at 765-285-1970 before placing your order so we can walk you through the process and give you more information.
What if I need someone else to pick up my transcript?
Ball State University will not release a transcript to another individual unless we receive a signed statement from the requestor providing the complete name of the individual who will pick up the transcript (statement can be faxed to our office at 765-285-8765 or scanned/e-mailed). The individual picking up the transcript must also present a picture ID when visiting our office.
Can I edit a request I've already entered through the National Student Clearinghouse website?
The short answer is "no". Once a request has been entered and the consent form processed there is no way to edit the original request. If your transcript request has not been processed by Ball State there may be the possibility of canceling the request and starting over. Please call our office at 765-285-1970 if you would like to see if canceling your request is an option, or if you have any questions about this process.
Can I edit a request I've already entered through the Self-Service Banner (SSB)?
No. Orders cannot be edited once they are submitted for processing.