UNIVERSITY MEDIA SERVICES EQUIPMENT CHECKOUT POLICY
Ball Communications Building, Room 194, Phone: 285-5373
Borrowing Equipment is a Privilege!
WHO CAN CHECK OUT EQUIPMENT FROM THIS LAB
Equipment use is restricted to University Related projects ONLY; it is not for personal endeavors.
A. Ball State Faculty or Professional Staff
B. Ball State Students who meet the following requirements:
Must be enrolled during current semester
- The professor/instructor must authorize the student for equipment checkout by sending an email to the Equipment Resource Coordinator @ Jacarroll1247@gmail.com using this UNIVERSITY MEDIA SERVICES EQUIPMENT CHECKOUT PERMISSION AUTHORIZATION form.
(Please send it in pdf file format only) No authorizations will be accepted without
Accurate and Thorough completion of Permission Template.
- A new Authorization form is required at the beginning of Fall, Spring, and 5-week Summer Session(s).
- Graduate Students
must be authorized by the appropriate Department Chair, Director of Graduate
Studies, or Administrative Coordinator in order for Graduate Student to
authorize their students/classes for Equipment Checkout using Template on PAGE
3. All authorizations subject to review.
- Department Chair,
Director of Graduate Studies, and/or Administrative Coordinator may email Jacarroll1247@gmail.com the Graduate Student’s
names and classes they will be instructing.
PERMISSION TEMPLATE form is not required for this UNLESS said
Graduate Student is in need of Equipment checkout access.
4. Equipment in need of authorization must be available to the student/faculty member/professional staff person in order to be checked out. Please note that certain equipment is specific to designated professors/courses for authorization purposes. For questions concerning what equipment can be authorized by which faculty/instructor, please see the staff located in BC 194-R.
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP THE EQUIPMENT
24 hours (weekends = a 24-hour period)
All equipment checked out over a weekend is due by Noon on Monday.
All equipment checked out Thursday is due at Noon Friday or earlier.
Return times are subject to change.
RESERVING EQUIPMENT - Reservations can be made no further than one week in advance.
- You must have your Ball State ID card with you to reserve equipment
- Reservations must be done in person; reservations will not be taken by phone or email
- Reserving equipment for others IS NOT PERMITTED
- Special Reservations: ONLY to be made by Professors/Instructors MUST be followed up by the student’s presence at the counter to confirm the reservation through the regular checkout process. Failure of student showing up within 48 hours will result in a LOSS of the reservation. Weekends (Saturday/Sunday) do not count as part of the 48hours.
- Students cannot reserve equipment
until your Professor/Instructor has sent the
authorization for equipment checkout and student’s name has been added to the
- Picking up equipment for other students IS NOT PERMITTED
- You must have your Ball State ID card with you to
- Before leaving make sure everything you need is
accounted for and that all equipment is functioning properly.
- We provide batteries for DSLR, PD-150/170, EX-3, and
Nx5 camera only. We cannot guarantee
- You are financially responsible for any damages or
equipment loss at the time of return. See Returning
Equipment for more details.
- Equipment malfunctions, damage, and loss will be your
responsibility, even if not by your error.
- Insurance is available below:
LATE PICKING-UP EQUIPMENT
- Equipment reservations will be cancelled after 1 hour from your scheduled time for pick-up, unless you call in advance to change your pick-up time. Depends on availability.
LATE RETURN POLICY (Call in advance to change your return time to avoid late penalties---depending on availability)
- First time late, there is no penalty.
- Second time late, checkout privileges revoked for the remainder of the semester
Students enrolled in a 5-week class are subject
to a SEPERATE LATE return policy agreed upon by Equipment Resource Coordinator
and Instructor. In some cases, 1 LATE
may result in total loss of privileges.
Equipment Resource Coordinator reverses judgment
to suspend checkout privileges at their discretion due to a student’s misuse,
abuse, neglect, or demonstration of irresponsible behavior. A report will be provided to Faculty Member,
Department Chair, or otherwise necessary individual in this event for their
- Wait while the lab assistant(s) checks the equipment
- Make sure you allow enough time.
and/or complex orders take additional time)
- Wait your turn.
- Every item that you checked out must be present. This includes the proper packing of all cables and accessories
- Poorly wrapped cords will result in your waiting until they are properly wrapped. We will cease providing cables upon 2 poor returns.
- Report equipment failure upon return to the lab assistants
- You will be held accountable for items missing or damaged due to neglect or misuse; you must return/replace item(s) before reserving or checking out any additional equipment.
- After everything has been checked and approved, you must sign the equipment back in.
- Student users of the EX3s and 7Ds - all video must be pulled off of the SxS and CF cards on your OWN time BEFORE you return the cameras. You will NOT be able to retrieve footage once the cameras have been returned. Cards and Card Readers are due at the time the Equipment is due. Your Instructor will be notified if you fail to comply.
- Do NOT leave equipment unattended anywhere. This includes outside the area. YOU must arrange the time and means to return the gear at your scheduled time during our posted hours of operation. Failure to comply with this will result in the immediate loss of your equipment checkout privileges.
The USER is held liable to pay all costs for replacement/repair of equipment due to misuse, neglect, lost and/or stolen; you will not be permitted to check out equipment until financial restitution has been made. You will not be responsible for normal wear and aging of equipment; and unreported damages will be investigated.
The equipment for checkout was purchased to enable faculty and students to enhance and further the academic experience. You are borrowing equipment that others wish to use as well. Abuse of this privilege, by using the equipment improperly or by not returning it on time, will result in the suspension of your privilege to borrow equipment in the future.
Download Equipment Check-Out Policy (PDF)