Exceptional teachers. Small classes providing individual attention. Opportunities for enrichment and scholarships. That’s what our department is about.
Our actuarial science program is tops in the nation. We have one of the few programs in the United States that offers both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in actuarial science. Our faculty members include more fellows—the highest actuarial designation—than any program in the nation. We also boast a 100 percent placement record for our actuarial science graduates. Nearly 2 percent of the members of the Society of Actuaries are Ball State alumni.
In the Department of Mathematical Sciences, we’re proud to provide our students outstanding undergraduate and graduate educational opportunities in the fields of actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, and mathematics education. We carry out our mission through educational, scholarly, and service endeavors.
- instruction that challenges students to perform to their full capacity
- individual attention to students
- appropriate use of technology
- publication of original research, expository books and articles, and instructional materials
- dissemination of scholarly work through presentations
- external and internal funding of scholarly activities
- service that strengthens our educational programs
- service to our department, college, and university
- involvement in professional societies, governmental agencies, schools, publishers, and the broader community