February 16-18, 2018
- Conduct the Ball State University Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band in beautiful Sursa Hall.
- Work and collaborate with outstanding conductors and educators.
- Attend an open rehearsal with a renowned conductor and the BSU Wind Ensemble.
- Participate in discussions dealing with repertoire, score study, rehearsal techniques, conducting technique, gesture and movement, and personal growth.
- Attend a performance by the BSU Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band.
Conductor: $200 (includes Saturday lunch)
- Participants will conduct the BSU Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band (approximately 15-20 minutes with each band)
- Receive on-the-spot feedback from the clinicians.
- There is a limit of 10 conductors. Conductors will be selected in the order that their enrollment fee is received.
Observer: $50; $35 for college students
- Observe the conducting sessions.
- Participate in the afternoon lecture and discussion session.
- There is no limit to the number of people in the observer track.
College Students: Register as an Observer at the discounted rate of $35.
1. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the Wind Ensemble.
- Arnold Prelude, Siciliano, and Rondo
- Dahl Sinfonietta
- Grainger/ed. by Kreines Lads of Wamphray
- Hindemith Konzertmusik für Blasorchester, op. 41
- Spittal Consort for Ten Winds
- Tschesnokoff/arr. Houseknecht Salvation is Created
- Wagner/ed. by Votta/Boyd Trauermusik, WWV73
2. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the BSU Symphony Band.
- Bennett Suite of Old American Dances (first 3 movements only)
- Brahms/arr. Buehlman Blessed are They from A German Requiem
- Love A Cardinal’s Hymn
- Schuman George Washington Bridge
- Ticheli Simple Gifts: Four Shaker Songs
Eugene Corporon, Director of Wind Studies, University of North Texas
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 6:30-6:45 p.m. – Welcome (MIB 136)
- 7-10:15 p.m. – Open Rehearsal with BSU Symphony Band and Wind Ensemble with Guest Clinician
- 8-8:45 a.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 8:45-9 a.m. – Welcome (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 9-11:30 a.m. – Conducting Session with Wind Ensemble (Sursa Hall)
- 11:30-noon – Wind Ensemble open rehearsal
- noon-1 p.m. – Lunch (included with workshop fee)
- 1-4:30 p.m. – Lecture/Discussion Sessions (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 7:30 p.m. – Concert by BSU Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band
- noon-3 p.m. – Conducting Session with Symphony Band (Sursa Hall)
- 3-4:30 p.m. – Closing session
- Ball State University Pittenger Hotel — 765-285-1555
- Best Western — 765-282-0600
- Comfort Inn & Suites — 765-587-0294
- Days Inn — 765-288-2311
- Hampton Inn & Suites — 765-288-8500
- Holiday Inn Express — 765-289-4678
- Lees Inn — 765-282-7557
- Signature Inn — 765-284-4200
- Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center — 765-760-4077
For additional information, contact Thomas Caneva at 765-285-5435 or by email.