The newly revised minor in jazz/commercial music requires 25 credit hours in applied study (private lessons), music history, music and jazz theory, improvisation, and jazz electives in a number of interest areas.
- MUST 101 Sight Ear (1 credit)
- MUST 102 Sight Ear (1 credit)
- MUST 111 Music Theory (2 credits)
- MUST 112 Music Theory (2 credits)
- MUST 250 Jazz Theory (2 credits)
- MUHI 200 Music Literature (2 credits)
- MUSP 204 Jazz Study (2 credits)
- MUSP 231 Jazz Combo (1 credit)
- MUSP 456 Jazz Improv 1 (2 credits)
- MUSP 457 Jazz Improv 2 (2 credits)
- MUSP 462 Jazz Piano Lab (1 credit)
- MUSC 499 Recital Hour (1 credit)
2 Credits From
- MUSC 341 Large Instrumental Ensemble (2 credits)
4 Credits From
- MUHI 441 Jazz History (2 credits)
- MUSE 465 Jazz Pedagogy (2 credits)
- MUST 223 Jazz Composition (2 credits)
- MUST 414 Jazz Arranging 1 (2 credits)
- MUST 415 Jazz Arranging 2 (2 credits)
- MUSP 204 Jazz Study (1-2 credits)
All students pursuing a music minor need to attend weekly recitals and 20 music concert events throughout the program.
Minor students are also expected to perform and participate in School of Music ensembles.
Are You Ready to Enroll?
Admission to all minor programs is based on an audition in applied music and a music theory exam. For some minors, an evaluation of piano skills is also needed. Auditions are scheduled on an individual basis and typically occur at the end of each semester. To begin the enrollment process and schedule an audition, please contact Lori Smith in the Office of Undergraduate Programs in Music.