The Wind Ensemble is the premier concert ensemble of Ball State’s band program. Selected by audition from the most outstanding wind and percussion performers on campus, the ensemble performs the finest available repertoire for wind band and is committed to only the highest musical standards. In addition to exploring traditional and contemporary works for full band, the ensemble performs one-on-a-part chamber music representing all periods and styles.
- involvement in numerous commissioning projects
- regular interaction with outstanding guest conductors, artists and composers from throughout the United States
- performing in three or more concerts per semester
- regular appearances at state, regional, and national music events
Recent Acclaimed Performances
- 2017 College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) National Convention in Kansas City
- 2017 Indiana Music Education Association (IMEA) Professional Conference
- 2014 CBDNA North Central Division Conference
- 2012 Convention of the American Bandmasters Association
- 2011 CBDNA National Convention in Seattle
- 2011 IMEA Professional Conference
- 2010 CBDNA North Central Division Conference
- 2009 Music Educators National Conference (MENC) North Central Convention
- Monday: 7:30 - 9 p.m.
- Wednesday: 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.
- Friday: 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.
Music Instruction Building Room 152
- MUSC 140 Sec. 1B Wind Ensemble (0 Credit)
- MUSC 340 Sec. 1B Wind Ensemble (1 Credit)
Ensemble Placement Audition Procedures and Schedule for Winds and Percussion
|Trumpets ||MI-206 ||Sursa Hall ||Sat. Aug. 19, 2:00-5:00pm
|Horns (Prof. Berger) ||MI- 205 ||Sursa Hall ||Sat. Aug. 19, 6:00-9:00pm
|Saxophones (Dr. Bogert) ||MU-203 ||Sursa Hall ||Sun. Aug. 20, 12:30-2:30pm
|Flutes (Dr. Watanabe) ||MI-208 ||Sursa Hall ||Sun. Aug. 20, 3:00-5:15pm
|Clarinets (Dr. Crawford) ||MI-134 ||Sursa Hall ||Sun. Aug. 20, 6:15-9:30pm
|Bassoons (Dr. Sweger) ||MI-125 ||MI-152 ||Mon. Aug. 21, 8:00am-9:30am
|Oboes (Dr. Kozenko) ||MI-132 ||MI-152 ||Mon. Aug. 21, 9:30-10:45am
|Trombones (Dr. VanHof) ||MI-207 ||MI-152 ||Mon. Aug. 21, 11:00-1:00pm
|Tuba/Euphonium (Prof. Lyon) ||MI-204 ||Sursa Hall ||Mon. Aug. 21, 2:00-4:30pm
|Percussion (Prof. Dembar) ||MU-9 ||MI-152 ||Mon. Aug. 21, 6:00-9:30pm
Graduate Program in Conducting
The graduate program in wind band conducting is a small and selective program that prepares students to effectively function in academic and professional settings. Ball State offers a master of music with a major in conducting and the doctor of arts in music with a primary emphasis in conducting. Graduate assistantships and yearly stipends are available for students in these programs.