Get the Exact TESOL Credential You Need
It’s no secret that there’s a need for specialized instruction in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) both in the United States and abroad.
But did you know that there’s a program for you if you teach English in an outreach or community program, a weekend English as a Second Language (ESL) program, or if you’re teaching overseas?
Ball State’s graduate certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is an ideal option if you’re not required to have a teaching license, which is sometimes the case in select domestic and international settings.
License in English as a New Language
If you are a teacher looking to add a license that will prepare you to serve linguistically and culturally diverse students, learn more about Ball State’s English as a new language license.
Our TESOL Certificate Offers Many Advantages
One of only a few TESOL graduate certificates in the nation
- Can be completed fully online
- Can be finished in one year; view the courses you will take
- Program can be taken full time or part time, whichever fits your needs best
- Up to 9 certificate credits can be applied to Ball State’s master of arts in TESOL or another graduate English program, available on the Ball State campus
- Appropriate as professional development or a refresher program if you’re a veteran licensed teacher working overseas
- Works for companies or some colleges hiring TESOL instructors
- Ideal for international students who are TESOL teachers and need continuing professional development in an English-speaking medium as opposed to pursuing further instruction in their home country
If you want more than undergraduate instruction, but are not required to have a master’s degree, our TESOL certificate may provide the exact preparation you need.
Mode of Delivery
This certificate is offered 100 percent online.
Take the Next Step
Learn more about our admission requirements. Or, contact advisor Megumi Hamada, assistant chair of programs and associate professor of English, with any additional questions you have.