OurĀ curriculum will prepare you to sit for your licensing exam. To become a social worker, you will need to be licensed to practice in the state in which you are employed. Licensing protects the public by ensuring that you are competent and prepared to provide these services.

Each state has its own license regulating body. To become licensed, you need a bachelor of social work (BSW) or master of social work (MSW) degree from an accredited social work program and must pass a state licensing exam. The level/type of license required in your state depends on your state's licensing law.

Most states have both a BSW-level and an MSW-level license with the MSW-level license authorizing independent (unsupervised) social work practice. You can find out about your state's licensing requirements and examinations by visiting the Association of Social Work Boards' Web site. ASWB prepares licensing exams for all states.

For licensing information in Indiana, contact:

Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Group 5
402 W. Washington Street, W072
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Fax: 317-233-4236

IPLA Web site