How much will your experience at Ball State and the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology cost? That depends on a lot of factors, including your level of study and whether you’re a resident of Indiana. In any case, if you’re like most students, your out-of-pocket expenses will be reduced by a variety of financial aid sources.

Whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student, the logical place to start is filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You’ll need to file the FAFSA by the deadline to line up certain kinds of student loans and other financial aid, including federal grants. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has more information, for both undergraduate and graduate students. Scholarships may be based on academic achievement or financial need.

Some of our graduate students benefit from graduate assistantships. These opportunities, awarded to top students based on academic performance, provide a partial tuition remission along with a stipend during the academic year. In return, graduate assistants spend about 20 hours a week helping faculty with teaching, research, or administrative duties. It’s a great deal from a cost perspective and offers great supplemental experiences and additional opportunities to interact with faculty. If you’re interested, check the assistantship box on the departmental application, and if there’s not an assistantship available in the department, it might be possible to land one elsewhere on campus.

Other sources of aid for graduate students include grants and fellowships. Among other sources, check the free search service offered by the Community of Science, which will point to funds available to graduate students in various disciplines.