Auditions for the bachelor of fine arts (BFA) in dance program will begin with registration in the morning and an opportunity to mingle with current dance faculty and students. If you are auditioning on the Ball State campus, your parents, guardians, or friends will have an opportunity to attend a question and answer session while you prepare for technique class. If you are auditioning in Chicago, you and your parents/guardians will also have an opportunity to talk with dance faculty and current students and ask any questions you may have.
- The technique class will consist of ballet barre and centre work in addition to progressions and/or combinations in both modern and jazz.
- It may last from ninety minutes to three hours, depending on the number of students auditioning, but two hours is typical.
- If you wish to be considered for advanced placement in tap, you may also complete a tap combination, but please note that this portion of the audition is optional and for placement purposes only.
- Immediately following the class portion of the audition, you will meet with dance faculty for a brief, informal interview to discuss your individual academic and artistic goals. This is an opportunity for the faculty panel to get to know you a bit more, and it’s also an opportunity for you to address any questions you may have about the audition process or the program.
- In addition, if you wish, you may share a prepared solo in the dance style of your choosing that is approximately 90 seconds long. Please note that the solo performance is optional and does not impact your admission status or scholarship eligibility; it is simply an opportunity for the dance faculty to gain further insight into your candidacy, should you wish to share your work in this capacity.
Please note that all portions of the audition (class, solo performances, and interviews) are closed to parents and observers.
If you audition in Chicago, and decide you want to visit campus at a later date, we would love to have you! We can set up a day where you’ll shadow a student, attend classes, and see a show or dance concert, if possible. You can contact Recruitment Coordinator Andrea Sadler to arrange this.