Ways to Give to the University Libraries
Donors to the University Libraries have several choices that align with their personal interests. They may support the University Libraries by contributing to an existing endowment or an existing fund, or by creating a new endowment. Donations are usually in the form of cash, marketable appreciated securities, or real estate.
Tribute with Books
A wonderful way to express your appreciation to a special person, to pay tribute to the memory of a loved one, or just to say thanks to a professor is by giving a donation to the University Libraries. An acknowledgement of your thoughtful gift will be sent to the honoree or to the family of the person whom you have chosen to memorialize. Just designate your wish on the Donor Contribution Form.
Contributing to an Endowment Fund
You may wish to contribute to one of the existing University Libraries’ Endowment Funds such as the General Fund (#5101) or the Endowment Fund (#80026). These accounts allow the Dean of University Libraries to apply gifts where the need is greatest. The Donor Contribution Form provides a list of existing accounts. Additional contributions to these accounts are always encouraged and welcome.
The interest from endowment money in an existing University Libraries’ endowment fund is applied toward purchasing resources that improve the collections, to provide state-of-the-art technology and software and to meet other important objectives.
The University Libraries have five funds for our endowment:
- The Library Endowment Fund (#80026), established through the “Wings for the Future” campaign to support the needs of Bracken Library.
- The Class of 1941 Fund (#60041), established by the Ball State Class of 1941 as a 50-year reunion project to provide for needs of the Alexander M. Bracken Library.
- The Zeigler Jewish Studies Library Endowment Fund (#5107), established with moneys from the Bessie & Benjamin Zeigler Fund. Interest from this fund is used to acquire library material that supports Jewish Studies.
- The Alexander M. Bracken Memorial Library Fund (#5105), established by members of the Ball family to honor the memory of Alexander M. Bracken. Interest from this fund is used to purchase library material in the areas of business and law.
- The Edgar & Lois Seward Book Fund (#5104), established in 1988 by retired banker Edgar Seward and his wife Marjorie, a local philanthropist. Interest from this fund is used to purchase research acquisitions for the University Libraries.
Ball State University Foundation staff members are also happy to meet with you to explain the primary steps to consider creating a permanent legacy endowment. There are many potential tax and financial benefits involved with this type of gift, including a non-financial benefit: the knowledge that your gift leaves your legacy to benefit students, faculty, and others.
Giving to an existing University Libraries' Account Fund
Gifts to the following exisiting gift accounts are also welcome:
- The General Fund (#5101) supports University Libraries’ services and programs. It allows the Dean of University Libraries to purchase material, equipment, or meet other library needs, including staff training.
- The Acquisitions Fund (#5102) supports purchase of a range of acquisitions relevant to excellence in learning and research.
- The Friends of Alexander M. Bracken Library Fund (#5103) supports expenditures for the general welfare of the University Libraries, special collections, and programs.
- The Archives Fund (#5106) is supported by the Indiana Humanities Council to benefit the Libraries’ Archives and Special Collections.
- The N.K. Turner Fund (#5108) supports the Libraries’ Special Collections.
Tribute with Books (#5111) supports the Libraries' book collection and allows donors to honor a specific person or occasion.
Planned or Deferred Gifts
You can make a significant gift now that continues to benefit future students and faculty who use the University Libraries as a destination for research and learning. Planned gifts are bequests in a will, trust, life insurance or retirement plan assets, and deferred gifts from life income arrangements. Donors considering a planned gift option should contact the Ball State University Foundation implement the appropriate arrangements at 765-285-8312.