We know you’ll need computer capability and good Internet access wherever you live. With Ball State’s renowned technology resources, University Apartments provide some of the best wired and wireless* connections right in your unit for free. A computer lab is also available in the community room for all residents.

To access the university’s computer system and high-speed Internet service, you’ll need the equipment described below. These items are available at the Ball State Technology Store and at other technology retailers or on the Web.

Wired Access

Your computer will need an SMC Ethernet Card (10 BASE-T or 10/100 BASE-T) and an RJ45 connection cable (not a phone cord), which can be purchased from the Ball State Technology Store.

Be sure to purchase an Ethernet card using the specifications above. You should also bring a UL-approved power strip with a built-in circuit breaker to use with your computer equipment.

If you wish to use two or more computers in your apartment at the same time, you’ll need to purchase a 5-port switch. Please do not purchase a router instead. Some retailers may try to sell you a router as a substitute, but if you attempt to use one, it will not be compatible with Ball State’s networking equipment and may not allow other residents in your community to access the Internet service. (The Microsoft, D-Link, and Netgear switches are recommended for use with Ball State's networking system.)

Wireless Access

Your computer needs to be equipped with a wireless network card that is 802.11g or 802.11n compatible. Once a card is installed, appropriate settings need to be made. We recommend a Cisco brand wireless card or Apple's built-in Airport card.